How to Drain a Modena Designer Rad??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PuzzledRoth, Apr 21, 2015.

1. PuzzledRoth

PuzzledRoth New Member

Hi, I need advice - I have 3 of the Watersmith Modena 1800*578 designer radiators installed at home. We are trying to decorate and therefore want to remove them so we can decorate behind them. Ive had a plumber attend who said that as we have it vertical on the wall, the drain just means water goes everywhere, all over my new flooring etc, and a bucket just does nothing. He's therefore said they cant do it. Does anyone know is it possible to drain them any other way without flooding my house? I'm clueless, but do any of the plumber guys here have any other ideas????

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How else did the plumber expect you to fit them, horizontally on the floor.:D

Hasn't the system got a specific drain plug/tap fitted on the pipework away from the rads, it's normally standard practice to fit one somewhere at the lowest point on the pipe run.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't you belive it.:mad:
    It's amazing how central heating systems I've seen where there either one or no drain cocks.
    Had the same here, not a single drain cock fitted, spent a day recitifying it.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Hasn't the system got a specific drain plug/tap fitted on the pipework away from the rads, it's normally standard practice to fit one somewhere at the lowest point on the pipe run.

Yeah, but if the pipework is dropping down just to feed that individual rad it is still difficult to drain easily. Why have you just fitted your new flooring before decorating? The last job is to fit the new flooring, not the first! So for me, I'm on your plumbers side, you should have thought it through first.

I would get a large sheet of heavy duty plastic onto the floor and cover with lots of towels and have some spares ready as well. Then drain as best you can coping with the initial spray, you will be able to control the flow to some extent via the bleed screw. You'll have lots of wet towels at the end but a dry floor but it will take a while. Try wrapping a towel round where the water comes out and direct into a bucket. Good luck!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a old roasting pan for just such occasions, it's usually shallow enough to sit under the valve.
    Just open the bleed screw, loosen the nut on valve, fill pan, tighten nut, empty pan into bucket & repeat until radiator is drained.

I can usually keep the mess with water everywhere to a minimum using the pan.

FatHands likes this.
  6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Wet and dry hoover, crack the nut and suck it out baby. Had a wet hoover now for abut 8 years and the hassle it saves is inceredible, no more struggling to get water out of a pipe you want to solder, and no hassle draining a radiator over white carpets

FatHands likes this.
  7. Same as KIAB and Dave. I use tin foil (to go with the roasting pan) to direct the flow into the roasting pan and the wet 'n' dry has been a revelation. Saw another guy using one and never being afraid to copy a good idea . . . . !