Using waste water from bath

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Saruyama, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Saruyama

Saruyama New Member

wondering how easy it is to run a pipe from the waste trap on a first floor bath to a rainwater collection tank. The trap will be lower that the tank so a pump, a non return valve, insulated pipe outside would be necessary but how does building regulations come into it? The overflow from the rainwater tanks would not be into the sewer system as it stands, but seems a waste of water everytime the plug gets pulled would prefer to use it on the garden.

I would prefer to have a plumbed in system rather than using a sub pump and garden hose through the house everytime.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sylvain S likes this.
  2. Where does your bath waste go to - is there a soil pipe running up the outside of your house?

In principle, tho', I think you'd need a small collection tank at a level that'll accept the bath water under gravity, and that will overflow back into your normal drain if full. From there you could have a float-level operated pump to supply your proper storage tank.

3. Saruyama

Saruyama New Member

Will have to have a look and have a rethink.

Thanks for the advice

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You would need to look into some kind of bacteria killing filter as stored water is a breeding ground for all sorts of bugs particularly water and soap mixtures.
    There are grey water collection systems in use but the are fitted with all kind of micro filters to prevent both smells and contamination.
    If you do manage to come up with a design that satisfies the water regs please let us know before you fly off in your private jet.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to collect rainwater.

Brian_L, FatHands and PaulBlackpool like this.
  6. Saruyama

Saruyama New Member

Not sure I get the private jet reference but as the grey water would be for garden use only and not brought back into domestic use, i was going to use a simple pond type filter and UV lamp to clean it so it doesn't go off in storage.
    Also have to worry about soap/salts build up in the water so wouldn't use washing machine waste.

Thanks

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

LOL, The private jet reference refers to the amount of money you'd be worth.

Just because you only want to use it for garden use, doesn't mean you don't have to keep it clean, can't go putting bad water into the water table, companies get fined millions for that, (Erin Brokovich anyone).

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stick to rainwater, it's clean & a lot less hassle.

9. I'm fairly sure that 'bath' water is ok for garden use - provided you don't bathe in acid or used car oil or nuffink.

Saruy, you sound pretty serious about this if you are considering using filter and stuff.

In principle, tho', since you reckon you don't have enough height to fit the main storage tank 'under' the bath's level, then the only option I can see is as I explained earlier.

You know the water butts peeps fit on rainwater downpipes? They have a connection you fit to the d/p at the max water level inside the adjacent butt. The idea is that when the water level inside is lower than this connection, water will flow into the butt, but when the max level is reached no more can flow in so the water continues on its merry way down the d/p.

You'd need to start, I reckon, with that same principle, except with a 'water butt' that's low enough to sit under your bath's waste level. This will 'tee' into your exiting bath waste pipe like a rainwater butt's does - ie: if the tank level is low, the bath water will pour in and fill it. When it reaches the max height, the water will automatically re-divert back down the original waste.

This will need to be a simple gravity-powered device or else you'd risk having waste water going all over yer ootsides.

This intermediate tank will then need a water level switch and a pump powerful enough to cope with removing the bath waste water as fast as it comes in. Once you have a pump, you can fit your 'main' storage tank pretty much anywhere you like, even underground (with a second pump to empty it!)

But, but, but, two tanks...a powerful auto pump...a UV filter system...the odd scum-cleaning exercise...

I ABSOLUTELY admire your thinking - not just ethical, but the technical challenge - but is it really worth it?

From an upstairs bath, yes. But if you really need pumps, probably no.

Of course, another solution - to do away with the need for pumps - is to have a large enough storage tank as you initial bath water collector, but I guess that would need to be a very low and very wide tank, so's it all sits at below bath waste height?

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Maybe a 3Kw electric shower instead of a bath would save water?

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It's called grey water harvesting, surface water from guttering is collected in a tank in the garden, you can't put fowl water into surface drains if yours are separate, it's absolutely possible but would take a lot of ££££, also bubble bath etc may have some effect also pubes getting stuck in everything mechanical etc

Orchardroofing likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just wondering what height water could rise in a pipe with the pressure of the water in the bath. And if a valve could be fitted to allow this to rise to a butt, then opened to allow the last bathwater to drain normally.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. G&W Plumbing & Heating

The waste water would need to run through a strainer over a tank before the drain, then it would be pumped from the tank like a shower pump, if the water gets low a solenoid is opened by a low level switch which fills the tank from the main through a tundish, that's how grey works

16. James234

James234 New Member

Just get a water butt pump, it connects to the hose, stick that in the bath and pump it out of the window directly onto the garden or lawn sprinkler.

Neveryoumind likes this.
  17. G&W Plumbing & Heating

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stick with rain water, it's cleaner, & requires less filtering & there is more of it.:D
    Had a mate who uses IBC water storage water tanks, he has about a dozen,hidden behind a hedge, each holds a 1000 litres, they cost about £20 each, he has linked them together, & has a electric pump to supply toilets, etc.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  19. HandySally

HandySally New Member

I tend to just bail it out into a watering can and use it that way. If i out anything 'harmful' in my bath i just don't fill the can simples.

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

The Chinese have been using "night soil" for 2000 years.
    In UK there should be no shortage of fresh rainwater, particularly up north, which is easy to store, pump, handle, spay and use for toilets car washing etc.
    Rs