What a bad day!

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by KIAB, May 16, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was going to buy a new 150mm fan for mother's kitchen today, having a ferret in the workshop for something else, I found a brand new Silavent SDF150B still sealed in it's box,plus it's liner- great I thought, saves me a few quid.
    Found my 152mm core drill, went & drilled a nice hole through the kitchen wall, offered up the liner & it & to my surprise it wouldn't fit, hole too small.:mad::mad:

Had a look at the instructions & found the fan fixing kit requires a 170mm hole, not a 152mm as required for other 150mm from other makers.:(
    Don't whether to slink off & buy another fan & liner or bodge:eek:, I'm mean adapt the existing hole, well it can all wait until Monday, as I''m not in the mood for sorting it.

2. A bit of sandpaper will sort it...

KIAB likes this.
  3. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Measure twice cut once..:D if you forget that you'll have to bodge it.:p

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I assumed it was 152mm hole as it has been with previous wall fans I've fitted,like Vent Axia & Monsoon range.:(:(
    So, darn annoying, might carefully enlarge the hole with my Bosch breaker & then foam in the pipe.:confused:

5. Tsk - I'd have thought you'd be tough enough to hold a 170mm hole cutter steady with chust yer bare hands...

6. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Ahh!! KIAB you should never assume anything.;) As you've just found out, we've all done it though.:(

7. Yeah, but not that badly... :p

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Can you cut a hole through 18mm ply with the correct size drill and then fix it over the smaller hole to act as a guide?

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks.:)

Great minds think alike, got some 30mm ply here, it's the easiest solution.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah! that's a true professional, knowing how to get out of a co*k-up :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've fitted a lot fan over the years, this Silavent is the first 6" fan which requires a 170mm diameter hole, instead of the usual 152mm hole.:(
    I've got a drill large enough to drill the hole, but I've got to go & hire 170mm core bit.:mad:

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or even use thinner plywood type stuff with just the pilot hole centered on existing holes centre and hole cut straight through both plywood and ceiling in one go.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Would be easier to just buy another fan to fit 152mm hole. Then when you next do a job use the 170mm fan for it.