Door hanging help!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Countrygirl, May 22, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to this and DIY in general so forgive my stupid questions!!

I need to replace a door in my house and I can only find one that is the same (no panel fire door) but it is too big. I need one that is 1980mm by 68.5mm but the one online is 76mm. Can this be trimmed to size?!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

Might be a bit of a job for a rusty DIYer but it can be done as long as it's a solid door... Typically the concern would be whether you can afford to remove the required amount of timber from the stiles... but in this case when you're only looking at around 4mm on each side I don't see that being an issue!

To avoid having a wonky / rough-edged door I'd probably get a carpenter friend or similar to do it for you though

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's not the size of a door. That's a bit of 3"x2".

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Might be 4mm off each side if the door was actually 76mm going into a 68.5mm opening as OP states, I'd however think they meant cm not mm so it's actually 40mm off each side, which I would not recommend doing.
    What style door is this? 686 x 1981 is very much a common easy to get hold of door size.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

6'6" 2'3" door should be available everywhere so no need to alter it Countrygirl.

6. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Get a solid core door , get it ripped to the size you want -12mm . Then glue and pin 12mm edging onto the side you ripped. Hope this helps.