How to get site experience for bricklayer?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by fanny, May 21, 2015.

?

How to get site experience for bricklayer?

Poll closed May 28, 2015.
  1. How to get site experience for bricklayer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. How to get site experience for bricklayer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fanny

fanny New Member

All bricklaying jobs i look for online says you have to have site experience. And all experience i have got is what i've learned in college. As level 2 diploma bricklayer as i haven't done apprenticeship or NVQ and I finished college this month and do i need to any other test to quality as bricklayer.

how do i go finding bricklaying apprenticeship for myself?

i cant lay 500 or 1000 brick a day, i lay about 250 bricks or 350?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Gatt likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its a shame that the college hasn't helped you progress to find suitable training or work.

I assume you have pad for the college course over the 2 year period out of your own pocket, this would indicate to potential employers that you are dedicated to your trade. Were any of your colleagues in the same situation as yourself? and if you are still in contact with them maybe ask around.

Hopefully you can secure some work and maybe progress to NVQ level 2, i understand that you have had to complete Level 3 to be recognised as a qualified bricklayer

Do you have a National Careers Service nearby?

In my area the council is building much accommodation, working alongside housing associations.

Gatt likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Try and get a job with a smaller building company to gain hands on experience before you even contemplate site work, if your like the 3 collage trained brickies I've hired in the past, you won't know how to lay a brick in the real world for toffee, but with a bit of patience from the builder you will gain the much needed on site experience. Good luck.

Gatt likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its not the quantity of bricks that one can lay in a day, but rather the quality, speed will increase with time.

You will also be using real mortar when out of college, not the stuff they keep re knocking up.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Exactly right Jit, quailty first, quanity second, you'll get the speed in time.

8. fanny

fanny New Member

Ive look online bricklaying apprenticeships in London and even thinking about ringing builders in my area. If someone want me I will just back to college for level 3 brickwork learning about plans and other things

9. fanny

fanny New Member

Yeah the college pretty doesn't really Carr about me what the student do, and 2 people on apprenticeships in my class and other one is self employer when he started level 2.

I put adds on websites saying my looking for some work or apprentice and builders ringing me ask me want to work I don't want to work for company just want to do gardens walls and things like that and work for myself not ******** bossing me around

10. KarimiumCom

KarimiumCom Member

like with all jobs you have to make yourself attractive to an employer, as an inexperienced tradesman you have to start off on a low salary. The trouble is you'll need a lot of mentoring the firm will need to assign a member of staff to watch over you to ensure you're doing everything correctly and that costs time for another staff to look over you.

Just be persistent and go for a cheapish job for now, get your 6 months experience and then either ask for more money to just quit to join a frm that offers more.

There is a shortage of bricklayers so it shouldnt be too difficult.

11. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

You can't just choose to build garden walls, or you won't get much work, get with one of the builders who rings you and get some experience.

abbeybuild likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

For an employer you have a lot of the things we look for; you are obviously a grafter, you are motivated to go and do things for yourself, you want to improve and know when to ask for help.

Always mention these and add that you are dependable, turn up on time and your work is clean and tidy.

A start is a start with any employer but don't start with anyone who has a bad reputation because not only will their rep brush off on you but also their bad habits.

If you haven't a CSCS card, you could get a labourers card and then start doing site work. If the foreman knows you can lay bricks / blocks you never know where it could lead to and at least you are increasing the number of tradespeople that know you.

There will be a huge amount of people on this site wishing you well for the future. Post your location on the thread and keep popping back.

All the best for the future

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He!:(

What about 'She' known a few good female brickies.:eek::)

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Rules out most brickies I know 40 a day; bad backs, pot bellies - never get into the MoneySuppermarket.com adds, let alone the Diet Coke ones ;)