SOS - Installing Unvented Indirect Cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by homeowner-1, May 28, 2015.

1. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Hello All

Please I need the advise and service of a licensed/qualified/experienced plumber to install a NEPTUNE 150L DIRECT UNVENTED S/S CYLINDER that I purchsed from Kingspan.

The only complication is that the unit was shipped outside the UK to Lagos.

I hope someone could help with step by step direction and may be skype video for the instalaltion for a fee.

regards
    Ade

sam spade likes this.
  2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Yer, like that's going to happen!!!!

3. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Hello Nigel

Thanks. Please how do we proceed?

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Are you really asking someone to go to Lagos to fit this for you...? Think not?
    You need to find a local plumber who is qualified to install them, you cannot install as a diy.
    About a days work provided you've bought all the bits

5. Owain

Owain Member

You probably can in Lagos. I doubt they worry too much about Part G of the English Building Regulations.

6. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Glad

Thanks. No. I just need advise on the items to get ready as am struggling to find an installer at the moment.
    Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

7. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Owain. Thanks, the local regulation really dont but I just need some guidance to verify what the chap here would do. Do we use only copper pipes or can Henco from Belgium be used etc. What item goes into what outlet etc?

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

This a winder or what???

9. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Hi Niger, what I have is a copperform unvented indirect hot water cylinder from Kingspan

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

An unvented cylinder if fitted incorrectly can cause as much damage as a bomb. It is a pressurised cylinder that increases in pressure as the water heats up and has to be installed correctly. Having said that as installers we have to re-qualify to become competent to fit these cylinders every five years at our own expense.
    This and given the fact that information passed over a chat forum could be mis-interpreted is a very valid reason why no one is willing to pass this hard gained knowledge on.
    My advice is find yourself a competent installer, check his qualifications and let him get on with it.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Out of interest is this Lagos Portugal or Nigeria?

12. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Dave. Thanks a lot. I would and if I still cant it might be best to dispose it than risk the danger of it exploding. Its 600 quids excluding shipping which is why am trying for someone who can provide a local installer with guidance via skype.

I am willing to pay for someone to do this but no one is willing and the equipment being a pressure vessel isn't really common in Africa. Most folks use point of use point of use heaters but my new home is already plumbed for central heating. Lots of unknown when procuring the equipment and planning.

13. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Chippie, Lagos, Nigeria not Portugal

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's what I thought you meant.
    What sort of gas is run to your house?

15. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

16. Dave does Gas

Dont want to sound pedantic but the link you provided has a full set of instalation instructions, cant think of what else you need.

That is an indirect cylinder and will need to be connected to your heating system as part of a Y or S plan system. But you could run it on electricity only via immersion heaters and not connect it to the heating system but it would have been cheaper to have purchased a "direct" cylinder at the outset.

Normal cooking gas?? its either LPG (propane or Butane) or natural gas, the difference has a significant effect on the setting up of your gas appliances.

17. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Thanks. Dave. Yes there is an installation manual but I am not a plumber so am being careful with DIY and not really confident of the C&G certified plumbers here as this equipment isn't common.

Hence, my SOS request for a probable solution. Considering this would be electric only, is a direct cylinder is better option??? and would do exactly same thing and possible save energy use???

Pls advise so i can decide the next step.

Thank you all for your suggestions am just being careful to avoid errors and accidents.

18. Dave does Gas

First and foremost Im not goilng to offer any advioce whatsoever on the installation of an unvented cylinder for DIY installation, whilst I appreciate you will be installing it in the depth of deepest darkest Africa as far as Im concerned its an unvented cylinder and should be installed by a qualified engineer.

As for type of cylinder then if your going electric only you will need a direct cylinder, being as your in a hot country you could explore the possibility of solar heated hot water with electric back up in which case a totally different type of cylinder again will be required.

Ive given you a link to Worcester Bosh's system there are plenty of others but this is a good video for explaning the basic principle.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bhbOVqixsAw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. homeowner-1

homeowner-1 New Member

Dav
    Dave.Thanks