Build my own or Purpose Built Steam Shower Room?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by leebo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. leebo

leebo New Member

Hi All,

This forum certainly looks full of some knowledgeable people (I'm hoping anyway) .

I have been toying with adding a steam room/steam shower in our new home. I have done plenty of research, however I am still undecided the best route to take it.

This is where I am hoping you guys and of course girls can give me some feedback and opinions.

So which is the best option , going DIY and starting from scratch to create a Steam room with a shower consisting of purchasing all the component parts such as steam generator and all the associated, Enclosure, flooring, suitable wall panels, tiles. This is the sort of thing I had in mind here

Alternatively do I go with something out of the box as such, that just needs constructing, which seems much like a flat pack Ikea wardrobe.(ish) Something like these all in one steam showers here

Both options seem to have their pro's and cons

DIY Pro's

Can get an exact custom size I want
    Can choose internal fittings I want ( probably better quality)
    Can install a more powerful steam generator perhaps.

Cons
    More labour intensive
    More cost

Self Contained Pros

Quick to install
    Has everything included including lighting etc and bluetooth for music

Cons
    Are the components decent quality
    Are they simple to install
    Can I get parts if they go wrong ?

Being very indecisive I wanted some other pro's ad con's from people who have maybe fitted one or ideally both these options (although unlikely I guess)and which would be the best way to go with the project.

Anything positive or negative would be greatly appreciated

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/diy-or-purpose-built-steam-room.437307/#ixzz3e4P4l8rc

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not really a decision anyone on a web board can make for you. You have listed all the pro's and con's, Its your money and your house so its up to you to decide at the end of the day.

But tell you what whichever route you take stick a few pictures up on here as your going along.

3. leebo

leebo New Member

Thanks Dave, probably just me not wanting to make the decision ......I will indeed post the before, during and after images ONCE i get going on the project!

4. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

One of my customers built a custom one...was the nuts!! Double glass doors, curved ceiling and bench fully mosaic tiled, with remote control colour lighting and music...that was 3years ago roughly n he said he's used it 3times hahah!

5. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Bought a ready to go power shower/steam/music/telephone etc cubicle about four years ago and had to install a Salamander pump, modify the H/W cylinder outlet - it took ages and lots of effort ...........................and the cubicle is thin ,not substantial at all its really carp! Fully intend to rip it out and install a convention high quality tiled cubicle (Grohe or something) and go for simple. Its a pain to clean and only looks good in brochures. Don't mean to rain on your parade but I've been there! :( Sorry!

6. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I think if you build it yourself and make sure everything is accessible so when (and eventually it will) it goes wrong you can change the parts...

7. leebo

leebo New Member

Yeah definitely looking like a customer build, with what Brian here is saying, this was possibly my worry, although I appreciate not all models are equal when it comes to self contained cabins, seems the glass back models are the ones to go with and not these acrylic/fibreglass ones.

Thanks for your pointers everyone...much appreciated

8. Ronald Edwards

Ronald Edwards New Member

Steam is more invasive than water, so proper care should be taken while constructing steam shower. Building a steam shower requires a complete new system from drain to the ceilings and type of tiles. Read Omicron granite reviews for more information about which tiles are suitable for steam shower.