Improving cornice on Wall Unit...

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by iainc, Jul 3, 2015.

1. iainc

iainc New Member

Hi all,

I have a single wall unit that sits above the island area of a U shaped kitchen. I cut and mitred the cornice and then discovered that the ceiling slopes by about 5mm as it passes across the unit. Now the unit has been up for some time, is level (got lazy in doing the finishing touches!) and is tiled underneath so lowering the unit isn't an option.

I elected to sand down the top of the cornice in one corner so that it would fit on top of the unit, but it looks odd due to the ceiling slope. There is a gap on the right hand side of the unit above the cornice and the left hand touches the ceiling.

Anyone got any suggestions for dealing with this sort of situation. I'll upload a photo later so you can see what I mean.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Are you saying you notice the gap as a dark line , if so caulk it and paint in with the ceiling.

3. iainc

iainc New Member

It's more that it looks a bit off/odd. I'll post a photo tonight.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would shave 2mm slope off the tight part of the cornice, move the unit up 2mm, then caulk around with 3mm bead. Hardly notice it then.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. iainc

iainc New Member

Finally got round to uploading a picture.

Attached Files:

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

First thing take the door off, get a better look. Pack the cornice up from the cupboard top a bit. Filler will do a couple of millimetres and be almost unnoticeable. Pack and adjust til it looks right.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

it is what it is. i would have fitted it a bit lower so as to be less noticeable.
    "gun it in" yee haar

8. Lord Kitchener

Lord Kitchener New Member

Get rid of the cornice altogether, it doesn't serve any purpose other than hiding all the dust and grease that collects up there because the cornice prevents you wiping it clean occasionally.