Pipe freezing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Darren Barry, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Darren Barry

Darren Barry New Member

Hi I would like some advice on buying a new pipe freezing machine to a capacity of 35mm.
    Mostly work on residential property.
    I currently have a Rothenberger Eco freeze which is very unreliable.
    I would hope to pay around £600 but not sure if that's realistic.
    Love to hear some opinions.

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I've got one on the van (Freeze Master), can be very useful and gets used a fair bit. Can save draining down an entire system but have occasionally found that customers have commented that I've given them a largish invoice when I've not been there very long when using it. They've not realised that the reason we were quick is that we used the freeze machine (its gota be paid for somewhere).

Disadvantages - expensive, heavy, cumbersome, needs an expensive £200 service every 5 years or so).

3. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I've been thinking about getting a new one as well, I've got an old rothernberger one that up until last week was perfect but the past couple of times its played up...I didn't know you could get them serviced Glad it's Friday

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I wouldn't be without mine but they are an expensive outlay. Good feeling not having to spend hours getting air locks and crud out of systems you drained down. Mine started to take longer to freeze and eventually stopped. Spoke to Freeze Master who said they could service it because the anti-freeze had broken down. So posted it off to them (yes, really!) and it came back all good again with new hoses and clamps etc., so good job done but I was about £190 down from memory :eek:

If you are new to them, you must clamp against clean pipe, they will not freeze through paint!
    Don't ask me how I found that out........................

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

6. Plumberbish

Lol I'm still not trusting of the can sprays, I know they work but I like that mine has little thermometers that tell me it's -15 or so before I cut it...and I like that I can leave it running while I work so I know the ice plug ain't gunna melt and shoot me in the face...don't ask how I found that one out

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Phil - you used that product you linked to mate? There is no product description with it, but assume you need to get a jacket to use with it?

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Think we worked that one out eh!!!

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No mate, it was more of a joke than anything else, though I have in the past used a similar spray to freeze a pipe on an outside tap while I stopped it over for a new one, it worked a treat though only took a few minutes to swop.

10. Plumberbish

I just do outside taps live if there's no shut off... Especially in this heat its nice to cool down a bit lol