Confusing Immersion timer problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alex., Jul 3, 2015.

1. Alex.

Alex. New Member

Hi,

So my immersion heater is not working at all. The timer looks like a Timeguard TS900B, but has a lamp in the top right and has Smiths branding. The lamp never lights either by advancing the timer or by using the override. I checked the voltage on the connectors on the heater side (SL & N) and was expecting to get 0V, but I'm getting 240V all the time regardless of the timer/override settings. Is it usual for it to fail like this? I would have thought I would still have hot water if the voltage is constantly present.

A.

2. Sparky34

Sparky34 New Member

If you're getting 230/240v from the load side of the timer regardless of the switching position it could be the supply and load cables are mixed so make sure you are also getting it across the incoming side. If you are, then yes, the water should be constantly heated, so it would suggest that either the element or the thermostat is the problem. The first thing to check is to see if the thermal cut out has kicked in. ISOLATE OR UNPLUG the immersion cable. (Now a days they must be hard wired to a circuit with double pole isolator, but it's common to still have them on 15A plug tops). Open the cover and see if there's a trip reset on the thermostat and use something small to reset it. Testing the element is easy enough, test for continuity between both ends of it. Hope this helps some