Has anyone ever put storage units here above the stairs? Pics..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Danturboc, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Danturboc

Danturboc Member

I have been looking at this space and wondering if anyone has every used it for some kind of storage? And pics or ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You could, might be dangerous with people leaning over bannister to get things though, items dropping on heads etc!!

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

bookcase

4. Danturboc

Danturboc Member

Yes i did think it might not be that safe. But if done well enough it could worj

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

display

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep, of course...your house, your rules etc. Prob best not to use it to store nails, screws, drawing pins, needles, marbles, banana skins ;)

7. No reason it cannot be done - with the provisos given above.

Obviously it'll have to look good, but that shouldn't be an issue. Also - obviously - look out for head height.

It might all look more integrated if - as suggested above - the unit also has shelves coming out from it to continue along the wall. Obviously the higher ones would be best suited for decorative items, but lower ones (again watching for head bumps) could hold books.

I'm guessing the main storage unit would be the full depth (ie - the stairwell width) with its door facing the landing to aloow easy access? So the side facing you as you go down the stairs would be plain like a continuation of the wall.

Hard to know in advance whether it would look ok...

8. Danturboc

Danturboc Member

Yes something like that is what i was thinking. The door would go on the landing side yes.

9. Danturboc

Danturboc Member

I have this sort or cupboard in my head, or maybe bigger?

[​IMG]

Obviosely a very rough drawing there, the lines on the face of it are shelves

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yeah that looks real clever. Someone leans out to get a book and falls over the banister.

Areas like that are for hanging a nice painting to admire.

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Have a look through these..
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/label/stairwell/p/48

And dream.LoL

Over 100 images on there. Though you might need to be a member to access them.
    Open spaces and brightly lit is the overall theme. Not claustrophobed with furniture into a dark dungeon.
    Though there is one or two in there with shelves incorporated into the stairwell.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think you will find the shelves are inside the cupboard. And the door is on the end so no leaning out I think.

13. Hmm, I don't think so... :)

However, these shelves would look good with decorative items on them. Or even just have a hanging on that end cupboard wall.

(Stop it - you know what I mean...)

14. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Fold down platform with tent and mattress. room for several illegals.

There's your pension!

Plumberbish and Danturboc like this.
  15. Danturboc

Danturboc Member

16. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

It's your wall and if you trust that you and your family are capable of reaching across to get something off the shelf then you build it my friend! I want to put climbing wall holds all over my stairs and surrounding walls so I can climb up to bed...but the boss won't let me :( women-who'd have them!?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Built same at my last place, open up the bedroom wall, fitted a pair of doors about 1050-1200mm height & 900mm overall width, accessed the cupboard from the bedroom.

Danturboc likes this.