Sealant peeling away AGAIN ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jactac, Jul 5, 2015.

1. jactac

jactac Member

I fitted a new shower tray about 8 months with new tiles and sealants, I've no issues with leaks as the tray has a up-stands that go up behind the tiles, the sealant is purely for cosmetic reasons to hide the cut of the tile, but I've had to replace the silicon sealant 3 times already, simply because it keeps peeling/lift away away from the shower tray, its adhering to the tiles but not permanently to the tray ?
    I've tried different makes of silicon (Dow, Unibond, Evo-Stik) all were high modules acetoxy (vinegar smell) and mould restistant, as this is what I've always been recommended to use on sanitary ware, however each one only lasts a few months before it starts to peel/lift off the shower tray.

So what am I doing wrong ?
    Is it the wrong type of silicon ?
    Is it the tray ? ( Coram ABS)

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

When you installed the tray, did you sand the surface where the tiles and the tray were going to meet???

You don't need to go mad at it, but just enough to take the shine off the surface as it gives the Silicone something to key to.

Also, make sure you clean the joint between tiles & tray before applying new silicone. De-Natured Alcohol is the best thing to use with a clean, new section of rag or paper towel.I imagine Meths would do the same job. Basically, something that will evaporate away and not leave ANY kind of residue.
    I usually go over the area 2 or 3 times with the alcohol just to be certain it is spotlessly clean before applying the new sealant.

I hope this helps.

Snezza.

3. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Odd one, I always use Dow Corning 785 and have never had this problem. New one on me sanding down where the silicone goes, never done that but can see the logic, "courageous" as Sir Humphrey would say!

Silly questions, you did fully remove the plastic protection from the tray? And when you stand in the tray I assume it doesn't move or flex excessively, like not at all. If it is flexing a lot that will probably be your problem.

Think you need to fully rake out the old silicone and start again. I think that snezza is correct, must be some contamination there that you need to clean out.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

My money would go on there's some tray movement!

5. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

exactly what i would reccomend, and second the fact its a bit more tricky than regular silicone to get a good finish on, but if you can master it it shouldnt move again.