Secure a 1/2" wall plate elbow into a "honeycomb" wall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by James McNulty, Jul 7, 2015.

1. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

HI,

I am replacing the shower unit with:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-muse-thermostatic-mixer-shower-fixed-flexible-exposed-chrome/73918

From the instructions the hot/cold pipes need to attach to a 1/2" wall plate elbow which needs to be secured as it holds the weight of the mixer.

This is the elbow I intend to use:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-15wbp-wall-plate-elbows-15x1-2/17692

My question is, the wall I plan to run the Hot/Cold pipes up to the mixer is what I can only describe as a honey comb internal wall. As the thickness of the wall is too narrow to put a piece of wood in so I could screw the elbow to, are there any alternatives I could use?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your time.

James

2. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

3. Plumberbish

Basically you have 15mm pipes coming through the ply, neatly tiled around then that bristan jobby is like a fixing with a nut n olive and screw holes, so you don't need the daft crooked 1/2 inch - 3/4 connectors the shower is supplied with, you just slide the bristan things over the pipes, screw it to your wall tighten the nut n olive, spin your nice shiny chrome cover plates on and finally connect your shower

4. Plumberbish

Depending what tiles you use you could just fix it to those if you haven't got ply behind them... But I'd always recommend ply to fix to rather than just the plasterboard and tile

5. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

excellent - thanks. So basically strip the area around where the pipes are coming out of, replace with ply and attach the ply to the existing plasterboard?

or should I ply over the whole area?

Thx

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Great answer bish. Just one question, why ain't you at work ;)

7. Plumberbish

Whole area would be strongest...so you can fix it to studs...but if you use large pieces of ply peppered with screws into the plasterboard to support the final piece of ply you'll be ok...don't go swinging from your shower! Lol:D

8. Plumberbish

Haha I am at work...I'm waiting for the lady to make up her mind where she wants a toilet roll holder and towel hanger thing positioned...so Im having a well deserved Cig n coffee whilst I wait lol

9. Plumberbish

Why can't I write f*g? Political correctness gone mad! Well I was havin a cigarette and coffee then! Happy you pc crazy wen ppl!?

Dave does Gas likes this.
  10. James McNulty

James McNulty New Member

11. Plumberbish

Yep that would be fine

12. Plumberbish

Can't say I've actually used that one but it's designed for a bar mixer n they're all 150 centres so happy days