How to manage 2.6m worktop severely weakened with large cut outs ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sorethumb, Jul 30, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

I have to cut out two large sections from a standard 38mm chipboard / laminate worktop to fit into a former chimney breast - which will then have a cut-out for a gas hob. The sections either side are approx 450mm wide by 500mm deep in an overall length of worktop of 2600mm which will severely weaken it for handling / fitting. What should I do to prevent it from breaking up ? It would be ideal to have 3-4 people carefully supporting it - but not easy for me to get a team waiting around for the time it takes for trimming etc. Should I screw / clamp temporary battens underside and across the gaps for strength during handling ? How do the pro's tackle this ? Thank you for any responses.

2. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Sounds good to me, but get some bodies in if you can!

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Only cut out half the depth of the chimney breast, position the worktop in front of the chimney breast on saw horses and cut the rest out and slide that bad boy home.

(if you have the room)

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Very carefully.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hob on left/rhs of chimney breast? Not that it matters, just getting the picture etc!

Do you know if the chimney breast has dabbed plaster board on? If so, you could possibly chase out and gain an extra 20mm or so and will also give you a bit more 'tolerance' with your cut out around the breast :rolleyes:

Also, reg hob cut out, drill corners and jig saw to middle each way leaving about 1". Cut this out when in situ.

Clamp a length of 3 or 4x2" along front edge to help brace it when you move into place.

I had a hob cutout in the middle of a 4m length a few weeks back and had to get it off the base units onto tressles on my own and back on!

6. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

Original Poster again: Many thanks for suggestions - I've managed to do the job now. I supported the w/top on two trestles with an old unit in between to make each cut out. I then sandwiched and G clamped two lengths of 3x1 timber along the front (post formed) edge of each cut out and with one other assistant was able to carry / place into position. The 3x1 'sandwich' made it surprisingly solid.

CGN likes this.
  7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

another tip
    yes clamp timber back and front carry vertically
    place the centre of the worktop still nearly vertical on the front edge
    rotate till nearly horizontal but enough room to remove the back clamps and timbers
    tip level and slide back trimming any pinch points as you go
    remove clamps and timber to allow the top to go fully back
    if you need to move the worktop when flat more than 30% width forward clamp the timbers to the front edge again keeping in mind it will tip with only 40-45% off the worktop over the front