HELP! - Baffled by legs for oven housing with drawer!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Stompfrog, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

I am in the process of installing my first kitchen and have been completely bamboozled by the oven housing.

The situation is as follows...

I have an oven housing, it is a base unit with a single drawer at the bottom. It's shown here lying on its back.

[​IMG]

I also have four legs which have a right angled plate which appears to be designed to be screwed from both beneath and the side.

[​IMG]

It doesn't take a genius to work out how the rear legs might be attached neatly to the bottom of the side panels.

[​IMG]

But the front half of the side wall is obstructed by the draw slide mechanism which means you cannot do the same for the front legs.

[​IMG]

The only partial solution I can see is to screw the leg plate into the outside of the side panel. But this means that (a) the oven is poorly supported by a leg that sits largely outside its own footprint and (b) I can no longer position the oven immediately adjacent to the cabinets either side.

[​IMG]

This can't be right?!

I phoned the manufacturer and they told me I would have to wait until Monday to speak to the support team which writes off the entire weekend of intensive DIY that I had planned.

Has anyone come across this type of unit before? Any ideas what I am supposed to do?

Many thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ain't got no photo's showing.:)

3. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

Thanks KIAB, let me try again :D

I am in the process of installing my first kitchen and have been completely bamboozled by the oven housing.

The situation is as follows...

I have an oven housing, it is a base unit with a single drawer at the bottom. It's shown here lying on its back.

[​IMG]

I also have four legs which have a right angled plate which appears to be designed to be screwed from both beneath and the side.

[​IMG]

It doesn't take a genius to work out how the rear legs might be attached neatly to the bottom of the side panels.

[​IMG]

But the front half of the side wall is obstructed by the draw slide mechanism which means you cannot do the same for the front legs.

[​IMG]

The only partial solution I can see is to screw the leg plate into the outside of the side panel. But this means that (a) the oven is poorly supported by a leg that sits largely outside its own footprint and (b) I can no longer position the oven immediately adjacent to the cabinets either side.

[​IMG]

This can't be right?!

I phoned the manufacturer and they told me I would have to wait until Monday to speak to the support team which writes off the entire weekend of intensive DIY that I had planned.

Has anyone come across this type of unit before? Any ideas what I am supposed to do?

Many thanks in advance.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Who put the drawer runners on?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Drawer runners look wrong.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's my opinion that the runners should be fixed 50mm further back from the front.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

That would leave space for fixing front legs to inside edge of carcass.

Also in second photo drawer seem too far up in cabinet, I thought drawer front would align with bottom of cabinet.

8. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

Thanks for the responses guys, glad its not something glaringly obvious.

The units are delivered preassembled (albeit without legs) so you'd hope they are put together correctly in the factory.

I could try and take it apart and move the runners back a bit but I'm not sure what effect that would have on how far the drawer comes out or if the soft close mechanism will still work?

I plan to go to the wren showroom first thing tomorrow and have a sneaky look behind the plinths on the demo kitchen.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good idea.:)

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Are there no installation instructions with the kitchen? Thought I'd ask now as I'm fitting a Wren kitchen for a mate in a few months . ;);)

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Instructions online, but don't show that type of leg????

12. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

I have some generic how to build a kitchen instructions (full of errors and typos) but nothing specific to this unit.

I'll try and get some photos of my findings at the showroom. ;)

Michkab likes this.
  13. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

Went into the showroom and popped off the pilnth... no front legs at all!

I guess the oven is just screwed into the units either side of it (which do have four legs).

Ridiculous.

14. Ridiculous. But perfectly adequate.

Provided you do happen to have units either side to support t'oven housing :).

Line up the units, screw 'em together well, and let the legs of the adjacent units take the 'front' load. It'll be fine.

But, I do agree - it should be better and more obvious than this.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do not buy Wren kitchens.

KIAB likes this.
  16. Backard

Backard New Member

Hi . I have the same problem but either side of my cooker unit I have 150 units wine/chopping board . These have no legs and are supported also from the side !!

So I have no front legs supporting 900 worth of units and to hold up a oven !! Seem like a design flaw !!

17. harcher

harcher New Member

Hi - After having a nightmare with our wren kitchen, (they delivered they wrong one !!!) and items missing we have now reached the headache of the oven housing feet... WTF !! how do we fit these feet to the unit as per the thread above, does anyone have any idea ??. help would be greatly appreciated.

18. joinerjohn1

Personally I'd pop into Screwfix and buy a couple of their generic cabinet legs and screw them so they support both the oven housing and the cabinets next to the oven housing. (apparently only come in packs of ten :eek: Why would they sell them in ten packs when most cabinets need four? Crafty or what) http://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-kitchen-plinth-feet-set-black-pack-of-10/36145?_requestid=162735

Alternatively there's always B&Q http://www.diy.com/departments/it-kitchens-plastic-cabinet-legs-pack-of-2/170651_BQ.prd Who conveniently sell them in packs of two (just the right amount) ;);)

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use 6 on a 1000mm cabinet & 4 for a oven housing (600mm) which is10:D:p

20. joinerjohn1

I've only ever used five on a thousand unit (and four on all others which makes nine, so you have a spare one) Coincidentally, I have a pack containing about 40 plinth legs (bought from SF a few years back) only used ten out of a fifty pack, bought for about £15 if my memory serves me right. ;);)