Painting new weather board

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by eric the fish, Jun 20, 2015.

1. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Can I paint new Tanalised weather board with white Sadolin?

Thanks on antisation.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wait at least six months.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the Sadolin a solvent or acrylic paint?

4. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Handy - Not sure "her in doors" would have unpainted wood on the front of her house for six months.

Astramax - Sadolin is a water based wood stain.

Thanks for your input.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Handy's advice is correct as the tanalised preserver has to dry out completely prior to painting otherwise any paint finish will fail, ie peel off due to poor adhesion. I asked whether solvent or acrylic Sadolin is being used as the water base finish (I assume Sadolin Superdec) a sealer coat of Zinsser BIN is advised due to the high possibility of the tantalised preserver bleeding through the white finish.

6. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Update Weather boards now ready for fitting (not tantalised but a treated with a clear preservative and a process called Vac-Vac), dried out and painted with one coat of Sandolin, Superdec, Super White.
    After fitting, but before I second coat with Sandolin I want to seal the small gap between window frame and weather board. Bearing in mind that I want to paint over it, what would be the best product to use to seal the gap?

Thanks in advance

E t F

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A flexible paintable mastic type sealer, plenty around.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Use upvc weatherboards

9. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Nice idea JP, but not really suitable on 400 year old timber framed cottage.

But I have some newer outbuilding that might benefit from upvc weather boards.

any idea who supplies them, I have only ever seen upvc shiplap.

Thanks
    eric