Moving a mains socket - how to invisibly blank old socket hole

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dave Stewart, Oct 6, 2015.

1. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It ain't rocket science! But that's if you know what ur doing! Should have sparks to sort it, ull ave to live with the conquences!!!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Should never have left Annie Lenox and the Eurythmics.... Look at the problems you have now :(

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah the rooms decorated and looking nice but that's tough mate

Pull back the carpet, cut the ply, cut a board or two and pull out the cables to old socket (hopefully they haven't been plastered in)

Drill down through new box to under floorboards. There's probably some slack there and cables should "fish" up into new box, no joints that way, much better. Fill in old box, put back boards and carpet, job done (properly)

4. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

I'm a bit of a perfectionist to be honest - it will be the death of me ( either that or dodgy wiring :p ) !

As you describe DIYDave, it's a fair amount of effort just to move the sockets by about a foot each.

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have chased the wiring, in fact I would have left the sockets in place, and not bothered starting.

However, the option of blanking plates now it's done makes me squirm. I'd rather fill the new holes and leave things how they are!

My options are, in order of easiness, as i see it:

1. Give up - fill the new holes, put back sockets, and leave it be
    2. Carry on - crimp the wires, wrap with tape, fill in old holes and affix sockets (possibly telling any new owners what's gone on there)
    3. Go for it - pull up the carpet, ply, floorboards, chase new conduits, move the wires, fix junction boxes, put everything back down, re-do first and second fills, re-paint, and re-affix sockets
    Option 2 would be the best bang (no-more puns I promise!) for buck. But is it safe enough?
    • If you lot give me a resounding "NO", I'll think about #1 or #3.
    • If it's a shrug and "well... y'know..." I'll carry on with #2.

I'd have asked Annie, but she know FA about electrics!

:D

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the problem is that the cables are less than 50mm from the surface could they be chased in deeper?

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Safe enough? It doesn't comply. Why bodge? You said you were a perfectionist?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Option 4. Have both sockets. No problem.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

tore81 likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would get the carpet up and run the cables under floor etc. You could also sort out the skirting board as it does not look like it's been properly mitered. You can't use j.b.s under floor so your looking at running in new cable from an existing socket to your new socket and then to another and keeping the ring intact. RCD protection is also required and make sure your bonding is up to date. I don't really see how you have any alternative that is going to be any easier than getting the boards up. Really depends on how bad you want this sorted. For zones have a look at this...

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/27/cables-in-wall.cfm?type=pdf

tore81 likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hadn't really looked closely at the rest of the work before but the skirting is appalling and the plastering is fairly dodgy as well and what are those wires just appearing out of the wall? For a perfectionist you let a lot of ***** work get passed. o_Oo_Oo_O

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea, ^ they looks like some kind of co-ax for a tv or something. If so, they should really be terminated properly with the correct socket and then leads run to the tv or what ever. Could also be some kind of flex though., ch wiring? In days gone by I would be happy with this standard of work but now it just makes me cringe seeing things like this. It's not much more effort to do the whole job proper like is it.

11. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

The house looked like that when I bought it, 10 years ago!

Yes, those cables are a bit weird (satellite TV and coax, not sure what the other is), that mitreing is poor, and the plastering is possibly a little rough.

But it's an old house, and you know how it goes with old houses.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies and links, they are really appreciated, think I know enough to make a decision now.

THANK YOU ALL :)

12. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

PS. Mr. HandyAndy - that's a genius idea!