Fitting cupboard to plasterboard very badly -- Help!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Notsoartfulbodger, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Notsoartfulbodger

Notsoartfulbodger New Member

I bought a stupidly big and heavy bathroom cabinet (17kg) which I realised only once I'd built it -- would hit you in the face if placed on the brick wall above the sink because of its size (mistake 1).
    So having built the flat pack monstrosity -- wouldn't admit defeat and thought it could go on the opposite wall instead -- a plasterboard wall.
    At this point I realised I was probably out of my depth and tried calling in a handyman... alas my calls weren't returned so figured I would have to have a go myself. (mistake 2).
    I fitted a piece of 10mm plywood nearly the same size as the cupboard back to the battens with 800mm screws. So far so good. But then on the recommendation of the local hardware store and I did go back a second time to check... used some cavity wall anchors. (mistake 3) But given that the cabinet came with a metal bracket for its fixing I should have foreseen that this wasn't going to work... alas hideous lack of foresight and any DIY savvy prevented me from seeing this until too late. So now the cabinet is resting uncomfortably on the plywood but a few mm from the wall. The anchors have no purchase and have not tightened.
    I really don't know what to do... How will I extract the cavity wall anchors without pulling down half of the wall... or is there another way of securing it without removing them?!!
    Am now avoiding my hubbie who had told me to sell the stupid cabinet right at the start... but alas I didn't heed his advice. Can anyone help me out of this pickle?
    Much obliged.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ok so you have fixed the ply to the wooden studwork correct?

Then fixed the cabinet to the plywood with cavity wall anchors?

Now it wont tighten up?

3. Notsoartfulbodger

That's right

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ok. Can you cut the heads of the cavity wall anchors off ? You will need to support the cabinet. Which possibly means not avoiding the husband for a bit? What tools do you have?

5. Notsoartfulbodger

Uum haven't got lots of exciting tools.. am guessing a junior hacksaw wouldn't be man enough for this one?! :)
    What would I need?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What sort of anchors?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You might get through it with a junior hacksaw. Might need a few blades.

8. Notsoartfulbodger

Fischer Cavity Fixing

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Will it not just unscrew?

10. Mr. Handyandy

A3391_141039_00.jpg
    If it's this type, to get them out(after taking the cupboard away) screw the screw in slightly and tap it with a hammer. That will straighten the lugs out again, and allow you to carefully pull the whole thing out with a claw-hammer on the screwhead.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Notsoartfulbodger

I did have a go and didn't have any joy... To be fair I didn't spend a long time trying as had started to switch to panic mode and bang on cue the kids decided to have their own crises... Perhaps I could have another go in the morning.

12. Notsoartfulbodger

That's right Andy... How will I take the cupboard away? Sorry if I'm sounding dense... It is sort of held in position -- just not tightly.

13. Mr. Handyandy

You can remove the screws?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Notsoartfulbodger

Ok thanks.. so I guess just me panicking that they didn't seem to want to undo than the reality... will take another look at it in the morning... And not that I have any plans to embark on any more DIY bar the very basic stuff.. how should I have done this in the first place? Bar taking my hubbie's suggestion and buying a slimmer cabinet for the brick wall.

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have you tightened the screws enough for the fixings to expand behind and lock in place?

16. Mr. Handyandy

Fixing the metal bracket to the studs would have been the solution.

Enough coarse threaded screws in the ply would be a solution.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Notsoartfulbodger

Thanks for your help. Very quietly not to wake sleeping folk I did manage to unscrew and remove from wall. Phew!
    The metal bracket was screwed within the flat pack cabinet and the distance between its holes about 530mm. The stud wall was standard 400mm... so could have fixed into stud wall on one side but not the other. I wasn't confident about screwing too much into the back of the cupboard -- didn't seem very robust to me.
    Maybe if I am feeling brave I'll have one last go tomorrow... before giving up.
    At least I now know how to remove the other bit of it now. Thanks

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

with studwork, you really need to get into the frame and fix some extra wood pieces; so that you can simply screw the cabinet fixings into that. That means cutting out some of the plaster board, enough to get in the required timber and then reworking it after the cabinet is fitted. You might become a reasonable plasterer.............

Its good practice because you won't know if wire or pipe has been fitted near where you want to install a unit. I get the odd request to fit heavy mirrors or artwork onto stud walls, and recommend this process. If customers don't like the idea of it, I don't do the job. Flooding or rewiring is not a risk I want to take.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Drill new holes in your bracket at 400mm centres(to match your studs). Screw there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really