Plastic ceiling cladding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hillbilly, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Wondering if anyone knows how to whiten a few discoloured plastic ceiling cladding panels, had them fitted recently and have noticed that a few panels look slightly yellow compared to the others, almost as if they had been in a shop window and the first few panels have discoloured it was not noticed at first as the light was on when fitted but now in the daylight a few panels look a bit yellow compared to the others as they were stuck and screwed did not want to take back down and wondered if they could be cleaned without damage to the surface any help would be appreciated

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Where are these panels and I don't mean on the ceiling? :)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, double-check that it's not the colour of the wall they are adjacent to making them 'appear' yellow.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Yes already thought of that the one end of room is fine then 4 boards white then 2 discoloured ones then 5 white then 3 discoloured 1 white and 3 discoloured last 3 white but end board looks like a half round skirting board is also discoloured basically looks c**p very disappointed with the whole issue have contacted fitting company but wondered if they could be cleaned before I start to demand replacement

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

In the doomed bathroom that has the swimming pool shower tray and falling off plastic plinth !!!!!!!

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unlikely you could clean them. Get a good picture of the whole ceiling and send/take it to where it came from. Should be evident enough. Any harsh cleaning will damage the surface which will allow more discolouring in the future. The picture alone would probably ensure it will be replaced.(Unless you can get someone from the company to visit, of course)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Well they supposed to send someone 2 days ago but I'm still waiting for them to turn up will give it until Monday and ring again but think will have to take it further as we also have other issues with shower tray this was only finished 3 weeks ago and reported faults after first week but still waiting for someone to turn up and take a look wasn't cheap and used a recognised company who supplied the fitter

9. Without a photo it's impossible for us to judge the issue here. But, if it's as you say, then you will be able to make them redo the work or clean it up - no question.

I suspect it can be cleaned, but will likely require a 'cutting' compound of some sort, similar to what's used on paintwork. Ie - the top surface is actually removed, but with such a fine polish that it'll leave it shiny.

The 'yellowing' will only be on the very surface - unless they actually used cladding from two different batches which could be different all the way through :(

There are 'proper' PVC cleaners out there - for use on windows and doors mainly - but I've no idea how effective they are.

In any event, I suspect it'll be a lot of work! Hand over head, rubbing hard jobbie...

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Any chance they are upside down?

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

No way of fitting upside down they are interlocking and the surface panel is raised they are very similar to tongue and groove but in plastic.

12. Any chance of a photo? Is it bad enough to show up in a shot?

A general photo of the ceiling, and then perhaps a close-up showing two contrasting boards?

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Hi sorry tried to post a pic but keeps saying file to large for server

15. You need to reduce them to less than 2MB.

Most digital cameras have this facility (can you reduce the pixel quant?), or you can try emailing them to yourself - right click on the photo and chose 'send'. Emailing them will reduce them in size by a large amount.