tiling kitchen

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by skimmer, Nov 25, 2015.

1. skimmer

skimmer Member

going to tile my 6mx3m kitchen floor,once i find my centre of the kitchen floor is it better to lay a straight batten along the longest part of the centre line and then tile the area the one side of the batten then take it up and then tile the other half coming down the longest part of the floor any advice thanks

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Find the centre, then lay out dry to see wot runs best.......avoiding silly cuts. If that means starting either side of the centre line.......or starting dead centre.

3. skimmer

skimmer Member

yes i would do that but does it matter if i tile one area first and then the other half after and is it better to use 4mm spacers

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

No tile what area you want but for floor tiles I would advice Mapei Rapid Set use loads of cheap buckets and mix enough for 4-6 tiles at a time then mix again,you can walk on them after 20 mins but would leave an hour,then you don't have to tile in 2 sections you can tile then stand on what you did an hour ago,then tile the rest so can do it in 1 go or bit by bit if you prefer

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The one thing people always get obsessed when laying tiles - is setting out via centre of the room / reducing cuts etc. and forget about what it looks like. The number of places I have been to where the patterns don't fit with the layout of the rooms, natural walk ways or physical items in the room.

The best thing is too lay the tiles out dry as best as you can then step back and check if it looks right, if not adjust the layout and repeat.

It is far better to "waste" and extra box of tiles with extra cuts than try and scrimp on the tiles by compromising the layout. Once it is down you will have to live with it for a long time and if the pattern is out somewhere it will really bug you and apart from a mat there is no way to hide it.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  6. skimmer

skimmer Member

i know what you a saying by laying them out to see if it looks right to the eye i would make sure the the tiles run as square and parallel to the kitchen units as possible but i suppose what i am saying is if the tiles are layed the way i described there would be no need to walk on the tiles as i am laying if that makes sense

7. DNR Plumbing

Yes but it's often easier if you can, also run them under the units and cut the plinth to hight not tile to them, square to the walkway looks better than to the units, as said above when tiling a floor it's better to make waste to make it look better and any spare tiles hide them under the units just in case, you will know where they are and not wasting any space anywhere else

8. skimmer

skimmer Member

yes i do that i just make sure the joint lines are running paralell with the plinths and doorway or adjust to suit,

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The other benefit of the laying them out is that it gives you an idea of what they are going to look like first. There must have been about three occasions where I have laid tiles out on the floors in our various houses and the wife has gone "they looked better in the shop" or "it makes the room look very dark" or worst of all "I've been thinking ....." and ended up not tiling it after all.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  10. DNR Plumbing

I've been there with a full bathroom suite and new tiles then rebooked for a few weeks time when she got the one she wanted lol

11. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Whilst rapid set does wot it says on the bag (Dries quick) if you can stay of 1/2 the kitchen over night.....then use slow set. It saves running around mixing every 20 mins.

And yes, you can do half the kitchen from the baton/central line.....then the then half the following day.