Breasts.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 28, 2015.

1. My sis would like a log burner in her new home. The wall it'll be going on is flat, so the guy who came round to discuss its fitting (straight-forward job - it's an outside wall) was talking in terms of a small stove sitting on a slightly raised plinth (prob round 300mm - both as a feature and to aid use) with a vertical pipe coming out from above before exiting the wall at 45o.

All fine and dandy.

However, sis was thinking more in terms of having a 'fireplace', y'know decorative sides and a mantle across - a 'typical' fireplace - but we've realised that isn't an option as the wall is flat and doesn't have a sticky-out breast to 'contain' the stove.

Soooo, fair chance I may need to build oot a decorative chimney breast. The stove would then sit inside this, the flue existing the top and disappearing into the baffle plate in the recess.

Soooooooo, basic construction using a timber frame (twin-walled flue, so ok), but what to board it over with?

I know the back of the recess will need fireproof material, as will the insides of the fire recess, but presumably the main outside shape can be plasterboarded?

Any stove peeps on here?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(

One way to get someones attention, wrong type.

What about this way DA, nice way to get a fireplace without any intrusion into the room, plus you can still have a mantle across fireplace opening.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    vivaro man likes this.
  3. Wow - that's impressive, KIAB.

I've since read of a similar example where the fitters did the same idea by going into the adjoining garage.

Clever.

But I'll be handling this breast, so it needs to be sensible.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a very easy way to have a proper fireplace, foundations don't need to be excessive, as it's only for the walls as in photo, your not have a whole brick stack being built.

Width & depth of fireplace can be easily varied depending on size of wood burner, it needs to be wide enough to allow a bit of space each side of woodburner, & not for the woodburner to look cramped as some after thought to stick in the space available.
    Plus you can mix n match bricks, have exterior course of bricks to match house, & the interior fire place course a different facing brick finish to suit room.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. It's a crackin' idea to be sure to be sure, KIAB, but not really one I'm willing to undertake, wot with lintels and stuff.

She wouldn't thank me for a "Great fire - shame it's the only thing left standing in my hoosie...".

And it would be too costly to have proper peeps doing it.

I think what I'll suggest is to go ahead with the fire asap, and then we can think aboot if she wants a breast built around it later

The only spanner is that if she goes ahead with chust the bare stove minimalist look, it would be best mounted on a raised hearth (300mm-ish) but a stove within a chimney breast would look better on a normal hearth like 100mm max height.

Anyhoo - cheers.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a few quotes, very little work involved.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Something like this could be a good compromise. You could use brick "slips" to imitate real bricks on a cement board backer
    [​IMG]

This is one I just pulled off google images and is a bit rough but someone of your knowledge could knock something a bit better up

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BMC2000 likes this.
  9. How does that work, Sos? Is that designed fitted fully in front of the flat wall, or is it recessed a bit?

10. Cheers - I'll have a gander.

A Hetas cove will be fitting the flue and an air vent (it's a fairly draught-proof, newish house), so all regs will be conformed with in that respect.

There's another cove coming to look at the job too, so I'll see what they say about a through-wall fireplace.

Cool - great ideas gents - really appreciated.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It fits proud of the wall. This one is built with two vertical boxes, a mantle joining them together and then a wedge make out of plasterboard or cement board which may be able to hide the top elbow of the flue. Can obviously make the wedge as tall or as wide as your sis wants.

The good bit is that you can retro fit this after the fire has been fitted and it can be fabricated at your place then just fit and blend into the existing.

12. Cool, I see now.

It looks as tho' that's the way we'll go with this - get the stove fitted first, and then we can build a breast over it at a later date.

She just got the first quote in for having the flue fitted - £2.2k. Bludy 'ell...

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What? No doubt another quote will be sought!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that supply and fit ?

I got some good prices for the pipework from

allfiredupstovesandfires.co.uk/

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!

So how is this flue running, up living room wall, then 45 degree through it to the outside, then up outside wall?
    Bet you my suggestion would be cheapero_O, but then I could be wrong.:oops:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This is a firm I've had a few friends use their chimmey, never used them myself though, they have approved stockist throughout UK.

http://www.sflchimneys.com/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. Thanks all.

If this were my house, I'd be up the ootside wall on a ladder, drilling flue brackets and DIYing it all.

But HETAS says 'Non!'.

Yes, that price was for single-skin flue pipe inside the room for a metre or so, before 45o-ing oot through the wall in twin-skin, and then up the gable end wall of a 2-story house.

And a 'plinth' - to which sis supplies the actual hearth.

And a vent in that same wall, probably chust above hearth level.

Sis to supply hearth and stove.

Thanks for the links to suppliers, but my hands are legally tied - I cannot do this job myself.

So, it's Hetas fitters or now't.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a few more quotes I say.
    Is your sister going for a wood burning stove or multi fuel stove.

19. Er, wot's the difference? :oops:

I imagine 'wood' if you need to specify.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015