Grundfos Pump, Fixed Speed or Proportional?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by nitonman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. nitonman

nitonman New Member

Hi all, just replaced the pump on a Camray 5 Oil Combi Boiler with a Grunfos UPS2 Pump, the old pump just had 3 fixed speeds, this replacement has the option for 3 fixed or 3 proportional, so which do I use? By default I've set it as the old one on fixed speed 2, is there any advantage to me using the proportional setting?
    System is 13 rads over ground and first floor, standard loop out and in, apart from a towel rail all rads have trv's
    Grateful for any advice.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Give it a run on proportional for a few days, these new pumps react to changes in the systems pressure and temperatures thereby making them energy efficient. If you dont get the desired effects from your heating system revert to manual.

3. nitonman

nitonman New Member

Great, thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes with the proportional setting.

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Do you mean it's a one pipe system?

5. nitonman

nitonman New Member

No, my description is open to interpretation! It is a feed and return system.

6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

That's normally called a "two pipe" system to avoid confusion.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would hope he has it in and working effectively after 2 years - but then what does time matter when you are spamming with links to your website.

8. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Very old post and not really helpful.

Poffowick has it nailed.

Note to self,never buy what Envieq has mentioned.*** this site is cheap to advertise on and free adverts get ***** response and could harm the intended sales merchants.