Very disapointed with the Bosch GFK600 - New 1/4 Router Required

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by NT555, Dec 1, 2015.

1. NT555

NT555 Member

Hi All,

My B&Q 1/4" router finally died after 12 years of hard work so last week a made a quick decision and bought a Bosch GFK600. I mostly use my small router for edge trimming & molding.

As I said it was not a terribly considered purchase but I'd recently bought a Bosch 190mm circular saw and was impressed by the build quality and cutting ability so though i'd be safe with Bosch.

After the purchase I was looking into buying the plunge base but have discovered that the base takes only Bosch bushes, not Trend/generic ones so was a little ****** off with that..

Then I started using the router - just chamfering and it didn't feel or sound happy..

Well perhaps I got a Friday afternoon lemon, but the router didn't sound like it was spinning at the described no load speed speed of 33K RPM. Anyway today i was using it and then came the ominous smell... hot armature & windings type smell. It died the death.

So it's going back to SF for a refund or replacement and I'm now looking at other options other than the small Bosch. BTW: For heavy mortice work i have a 1/2" Hitachi but it weighs a ton and for small bench jobs its a pain.

So which small routers can you recommend? I'd like to buy a 'proper one' (DW, Tr, Mak, etc) but don't want to be suckered into having to buy expensive additional plunge bases & propriety guide bushes.

Lets say I have £200 to spend tops.

I'd even consider the SF Energer ENB468ROU 1/4" router for £36.00 which looks a very similar copy of my old B&Q one.. (twice as powerful as the Bosch, takes standard bushes, variable speed)

Cheers guys

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Strange I have had the Bosch for a good few years without any problems. I had a Trend t4 which I bought for the equivalent price as the Bosch plunge base - wish I had bought that instead as I had no end of trouble with the Trend before it finally died a month after the warranty expired.

Can't speak of the others in the Bosch range

When I replace mine I will probably go for the Festool - the low end ones are £280 a bit more than your budget but the rail system convenience looks good

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a Bosch GFK600, no problems with mine, & I also got caught out by the guide bushes.:mad:
    But, there is a solution, the Trend unibase will fit, & you can then use standard bushes, but There been a few dodgy unibase about where the brass nuts ain't fixed securely, so it's difficult to secure the bush.[​IMG]

http://www.trenddirectuk.com/unibase.html

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The UJK Technology sub base from Axminster Tools is apparantly better designed, haven't tried it, as I'm still looking around to see what else is available.
    But, Axminster do have a nice set 12 piece of guide bushes (ref 340936) for £20.[​IMG]

The Bosch GFK 600 is sold under a different model name in the USA, so I'm thinking there might be different types of sub bases available & better quailty,

5. NT555

NT555 Member

Thanks both,

I too saw the Axminster UJK base and thought it looked good. I read somewhere that it was better than the Trend one as it does not bend/deform being made of case aluminium.
    Would i need to buy the plunge kit in order to use it?

Also do you think I should give the Bosch a second try?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult question, may have been just darn unlucky.

I looked at the Makita RT0700CX2, but at time the cost put me off, which was a bad decision
    looking back now, plus I think it takes a standard bushes.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-r...-230v-501867?gclid=CLzanL21u8kCFZadGwodtrgP-A

This is one of the plam router's they get state side, & reading several review, Bosch got it about 99% right with this tool by offering 1/4" & 1/2" collects :eek:, even the plunge base is designed better, but there are a few odd things which could be designed better.

http://woodcraftertooltalk.com/bosch-1617evspk-2-25-hp-wood-router-review/

The GFK600 is known as the Bosch Colt state side.

http://www.rockler.com/bosch-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. NT555

NT555 Member

The Makita RT0700CX2 kit looks like it fits the bill. I just need to get confirmation that it takes 60mm guide bushes.

I see the kit is available from other suppliers. E.g Howe Tools is selling it for £184.00 which is £14.00 cheaper than Axminster.
    Is the premium charged by Axminster worth the extra £14.00?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If no extra's then can't see point paying premium.

Looking at manual, it's seems to be normal bushes, not the silly Bosch type.

10. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

be careful with trend routers, and other power tools they do, as they don't make anything like that, just rebrand existing stuff, for as for their 1/2" router it was an aeg model for ages and was rubbish!

11. NT555

NT555 Member

I feel somewhat ashamed but have to fess up.. I bought £50 SF Titan router (49312) and am very pleased with it.. plunge style, comes with 1/4" & 1/2" collets, takes normal 60mm bushes, variable speed, not to heavy, soft start. One thing, you better use ear protection as it's very loud.

After getting my money back for the dead Bosch I sought council from you guys and was almost going to buy the £200 Makita mentioned above - the one with 3 bases, etc...

And then I thought hang about... Why are you about to spend £200 on a small router when the £50 will do the job just as well?

I know we're not comparing like with like but still, money is very tight.

Just thought i'd tell you all.

Cheers

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have a biscuit jointer I bought off SF for a tenner years go, still going, suits my purposes,