Plywood bathroom floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay459, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I started screwing 6mm ply down on my bathroom floor for purposes of tiling. I didn't have any short screws so thought I could get my long screws into the trusses.

On only my third screw and I heard water movement from beneath floor, I was screwing fairly close to the shower. This was 3 days ago and have tested the bath, toilet, shower and sink and kitchen is right below and hear or see nothing.

Do you think it's safe to start tiling, obviously I've went and bought short screws that will only penetrate chipboard.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sounds like tyou have hit a pipe if you heard water.
    Choice is yours either take that hour to lift and check its ok or risk a potentially expensive floor re-lay and wet ceiling.
    There are times when screws go into a pipe and seal them but when your least expecting it leak.
    I know what I would do, but ultimatly the choice is yours

Jitender likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you have a combi boiler, what is the pressure gauge reading?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If there is any doubt whatsoever, which you have then I would be lifting up that floor.

You should only be using small screw (i.e 6mm + 20mm for floorboard at the largest. So I would have used 20mm to be on the safe side.

i would never be able to sleep over this.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apart from the water issue, 6mm ply is rather thin for tiling on, hopefully there is no movement or "spring" from the floorboards ?

Good quality flexi adhesive, powdered would be best and prime timber first with SBR

In the meantime, best to check underneath I reckon :eek:

6. Erin Johnson

Erin Johnson New Member

Well, best of luck dear whatever decision you take. But I would suggest to go and have a talk with a professional and then proceed.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Check first.

Then replace 6mm with 12mm ply.

6mm is far to thin

Aztec likes this.
  8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

6mm is what my tiler asked for. Yes the pressure is reading just over 1.5bar which is believe is what it should be. Surely if there was a leak it would be evident by now but i may get the floor up before my tiler starts...

Maybe the screw just knocked it without penetrating it, thats my guess...

9. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I've seen screws go into pipes clean and not cause leaks, but a couple of months down the line when they start to rust that is when the leak becomes evident and starts to show. Just be careful.