Kitchen high gloss doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Pauline g, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Pauline g

Pauline g New Member

is it possible to sand back high gloss doors and repaint with chalk paint .. A couple of my doors are badley chipped . So I want to do a change of colour from high shine gloss laminate to .. Don't know yet I haven't picked the colour ..

2. Yes.

This sort of kitchen make-over is done a lot.

The polished surface would likely require a light 'keying' (sanding with, say, 400 or 600 grit paper), the chips filled in using fine surface filler (possibly car body filler would be best?) and then the whole panel primed with something like Zinsser BIN (or whatevs it's called...) to allow the subsequent coat to bond securely.

Possibly the Zinsser will bond even to an un-keyed surface (just cleaned thoroughly), but I think that would be taking a risk.

Bear in mind that the paint you choose will need to be pretty durable - you won't believe the amount of handling unit doors get - even tho' they are supposed to have 'handles' for that sort of thing. And then there's spills, splashes, dropped cans of baked beans, pesto, chopped toms...

It'll need to be able to withstand a darned good wiping down or else you'll regret it, I tell ye...

3. Pauline g

Pauline g New Member

Thanks that great.. Thinking about using ever long chalk paint with wax included .. It looks pretty impressive on there web site..

4. Mmmm - sounds interesting.

Could you post a link, please?

And don't forget to let us see the before and afters :)

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Check out Rust-Oleum chalky finish furniture paint and Annie Sloan chalk paint, can be viewed on You Tube.

6. Pauline g

Pauline g New Member

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good clean down with sugar soap and a scourer will 'key up' and degrease nicely :)

8. Pauline g

Pauline g New Member

I have 18 doors and 6 draw fronts. The fronts are all white high gloss laminate. So thinking about a light sanding to lift the sheen off. Then painting?? Will this work?

9. Blimey - magic paint! No primer, scrubable, durabubble, self-waxing so no hairs, awesomes.

Worth comparing with Astra's suggestions too.

Then all I can suggest is to try CGN's preparation method - sugar soap and scourer - and then do a small trial piece with the paint. See how well adhered it is when dry.

Looking forward to seeing the result :)

CGN likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi Pauline

I've recently done a hand painted kitchen. It was solid wood, so a bit different, but prep will be similar. You need to degrease before you start any sanding as you'll just push it into the surface, only for it to cause probs later..ask any car painter.

Sugar soap, sand, then you need a primer that'll 'grip' the surface such as Zinsser. The prep is the most important part so don't cut corners as your top coat will flake/fail a few months down the line. It's time consuming, but the results are well worth it. If you're still using the kitchen, Id recommend you concentrate on a few units at a time and do them from start to finish...will help keep you sane :)

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A couple of pics... image.jpeg image.jpeg

I fitted some new worktops, handles and appliances at the same time. The kitchen was approx 25 yrs old but gave it a new lease of life.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks a nice job CGN......what! no the plinth lighting?

CGN likes this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks Astra. Yep, plinth lights would have been nice, but property going up for rent for a few years so a bit of a budget makeover. I had to refurb the whole property, so one of those when I would prep a few doors etc in between other works. Tbh, I'd never painted kitchen units before, so although a labour of love at times, it was a useful learning curve and has inspired me to get a bit creative with a couple of future projects. I started off with water based Zinsser primer, which in many ways I preferred as it 'soaked in' better but didn't cover too well. Oil based covered well, but occasionally went on a bit too thick and didn't flow as well. This may have been due to temp, so I experimented with thinning it down at times. Used mini roller and layed off with brush. any tips for future?

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Top coat wasDulux trade oil based eggshell.

15. Nice indeed, CGN :)

I bet the old wood finish made the kitchen look dark and miserable.

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cheers DA. Yep, was pretty tired looking with grotty worktops and tiles. As usual, forget to take 'before' piccys, although I think I've got a few individual door shots to remind me of where certain hinges were used. image.jpeg

They don't look too bad, but overall 'dark and miserable' :)

The main thing, is that it ain't rocket science, so to anyone thinking of doing a revamp...go for it, you'll be chuffed with the outcome :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.