whats that smell?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by haley, Feb 11, 2016.

1. haley

haley New Member

Hi just yesterday had a bedroom replastered, one part is a small walk in wardrobe. My house is about 60 years old and inside the walls contain straw. The wrest of the room is fine, but the walk in wardrobe smells like a hamster cage thats not been cleaned out for days. It also seems to be taking longer to dry out than the rest of the room. Any ideas why this could be? Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

haley likes this.
  3. haley

haley New Member

Thanks, left window open a bit over night, and while i have been out all day left it wide open. Just come home and i can smell it from the bottom of the stairs. The radiator was taken off the wall to alow the plasterers to get in, its getting put back on tonight. Do you think that will help ot should i not put the heating on in that room and just leave the window open. Thanks

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If the radiators got a trv on it, then put it on a low heat setting and keep the window open a tad.

haley likes this.
  5. haley

haley New Member

Thanks will do

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Low heat setting as CGN says as too much heat would dry the moisture out way too fast and you may find that the plaster cracks.

haley likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I kind of like the smell of plaster as it signifies the beginning of the end of many jobs. You also 'see' a lot for your money with regard to material cost. Anyway...don't forget to mist coat your Newly plastered walls before your colour coats.

haley likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What sort of doors do you have on the wardrobe?
    Moved into a flat once, and doors when washed down, absolutely stank!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. haley

haley New Member

I don't have any doors on as yet. We took all wood work of and are starting from scratch .