change basin taps with mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tellme_why, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hello forum,
    may I ask your advice regarding the following.

I want to remove hot and cold water taps on my old bath basin and replace with one mixer tap instead. I will close the remaining tap hole with a plug.

Water pipes stick out from the wall; I've been told that it would be difficult to connect the pipes to a mixer tap flexi connection as it would require opening up a bit of wall where pipes get in the wall.

I have been advised that it's better to open lift the floorboard, install pipes up to basin but this requires to change the basin (cannot find matching colour).

See attached pictures.

Any advice on whether it's possible to install the mixer tap without opening up the wall or installing new pipes from floor?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

tellme_why do you want to do this?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not too hard if you've got a bit of experience and the right kit, but if you haven't, then you're prob better off paying a plumber to do it. Should take about an hour.

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Cos its one of them led colour changing jobbies, will be cool as.;)

5. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

thats going to look real nice:eek:

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You don't show the other pipe coming out the wall, but if its similar to the one shown, then it should be a relatively simple job to do.

If for arguments sake you want the mixer tap on the left, I would bring the right side pipe over to the left in copper, parallel to the one on the left and then fit the flexible pipes at that point rather than try and take the flexible pipe across to the right side pipe, via visa if you want the mixer on the right side.

7. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thank you all for your answers; I would not DIY, would ask a plumber to do the job.
    I was wondering whether the curved pipe can be bent straight without strain, cut and connected to the mixer flexi tap.
    Also wondering about the tap hole; would the hole be too small / shall it require diamond cutting?
    I'd want to avoid buying a new basin with suitable hole because that would trigger changing loo and shower (matching colours!) ..:)

8. darren jackson

whats todays date

longboat likes this.
  9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Giraffe.

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Has no one really spotted why this cant be done? :rolleyes:

Your basin is a two tap basin designed for half inch taps, a Monobloc mixer will not fit into the hole your taps will leave when you remove them. As for diamond cutting it just wont work, porcelain is very hard to cut/drill you will most likely crack the basin and end up having to buy a new one anyway

The only way you can have a monobloc mixer is to buy a sink designed for that style of tap.

11. darren jackson

what is this state the bleeding obvious day today :rolleyes:

12. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thanks Dave.. yes I was hoping to drill the porcelain or find a very slim Mixer Tap.
    The Issue I have is the basin is branded colour and the maker no longer in business. So I would need to change the basin, toilet and shower just for a tap change.. :(

13. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hi Chippie.. well my miss really wants it.. she will go thermonuclear if I don't do it!! :(:(

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Tell her it can't be done and don't forget to video her reaction then upload the clip on here.:)

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

...then take a sledgehammer to the sink as she starts whinging....and go down the pub while the water just pours out the wall!

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just face up to the Mrs and tell her it's gonna look just weird with a brand new, spanking, shiny mononloc tap on that basin

No offence but you've got a pretty basic old stylie basin there, exposed pipe work and waste

If the taps are playing up and in poor condition, then replace with either like for like or upgrade to something a bit more swanky, but stick to 2 taps

Your gonna end up with a blanking plate, modern looking mononloc to one side of the sink, just gonna look weird mate, sorry :eek:

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nice chrome modern style soapdish or toothbrush holder fixed in other hole.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Oh what them good old days must have been like.......?
    Most blokes nowadays wouldn't have the strength to swing a sledge even if they knew what one was and still have to ask the missus for some money to go down the pub.
    What happened..? :-(

20. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thank you Handyhandy; I guess this mixer tap fitting hole (34 mm) is smaller than standard size mixer taps?

How the water pipes should be modified to connect to the mixer tap flexi hoses? should I cut the pipe halfway and install one 90deg bend, one tee and connect the flexi coming from top or rather should I heat up the pipes and straighten at the point they stick out from the wall, cut a and put a tee? I was wondering whether the second option is feasible or not (pipe becoming weak - ductile) ..?