Bathroom extractor combined with light (duct out flow?)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ballistic, May 25, 2016.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

Hello again,

I moved into a property and found that neither the light or extractor is working on the pull cord.

The bulb looks ok, I haven't looked at the switch yet, however, upon entering the loft the extractor fan has been removed and is laying loose on the loft boards.

Then I looked at the installation above the shower and it appears that the ducting just went for a couple of feet under the boards into a void!!!

Has anyone seen this before? Is it really possible this damp air was just being put into the void between the joists? I can't really believe it, but on the other hand I simply cannot see anywhere this could "output"?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that's very likely, I have come across this a time or two! Cowboy job!

3. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

Did I mention that the join between the supply for the extractor and the supply to the transformer are just a block covered in electrical tape? :O

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No you didn't, but i'm surprised they're not just twisted together!

5. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

I might go for a roof tile vent. Not done one before but looks not too difficult. Still scratching my head about this cow boy job.
    What were they thinking all that damp air stuck inside the timbers like that???

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Might be easier to push it over the soffitt and cut a hole out if your soffit is wide enough.

7. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

I imagine tradesmen would prefer that option, however, there is an extension on that part of the house and a flat roof outside, so without taking the duct a considerable distance it can't be done. Also this makes walking across the flat roof to fix a tile vent in quite easy (it's a bungalow).

Besides, you expect me to be able to cut a straight circle through some plastic! :/ hehe