How to layout the tiles ...

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Pollowick, May 25, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I need to tile a cloakroom and the wall dimensions are really giving me a problem about where to start where to put cuts etc. And also what pattern to use. The wall is 1710mm wide and 2210 high with a door size opening - there is no skirting however I could fit one if I want, or tile down to the floor as once it is laid. there is also a door way.

Attached is a dimensioned drawing of the wall.

Tiles will be 300x300 plain white with a course of 300x150 (horizontal) grey just below the top of the opening. I intend to use a basic square section stainless trim around the opening.

Should I start in the middle and work to the sides? Or start in the middle of the door and work outwards? Or put a full tile down one edge of the door and work from that?

Should I use a Straight forward aligned pattern? or offset each row by 150mm?

The walls are plastered and flat - they need a scour to remove the top film but that is all. The two adjacent walls are also to be tiled, however they are a lot easier!

Any comments on what to do or what not to do will be welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. Pollowick

Please discount the original image one dimension was wrong. A corrected version is below with the left section being 490 wide and the total 1810.

Cloakroom_wall_tilelayout.JPG

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Divide the wall down the centre (905mm), then see what looks best in tile layout.
    Will have to have a narrow strip somewhere, but no idea as to where.:(

4. Pollowick

Or will I?

As the two adjacent walls are also to be tiled, finishing these 7 mm (tiles are 298 + 2 spacer) from the corners would not be visible as the other tiles will be 8mm out, thus reducing the effective width of the wall to 1794.

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Is it the same tiles on the adjacent walls, and are they full tiles to the corner?

6. Pollowick

Same tiles, on one wall, to the right they are full tiles - just three of them. One the left wall, it is another "problem" the wall is 630 wide, so probably will be 1/2 - full - 1/2 across that one. And I have just been told that rather than one contrast row of 300x150 there will two two rows of 300x100

The image attached to this post shows the centreline - which does not go through the centre of the opening.

Cloakroom_wall_tilelayout.JPG

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you have to go round one corner then I would start from the full side.
    Your other option is to start dead centre and go out from there and round both corners.

Does the toilet face the door? if so sadly it will be noticed if it does not look right

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You could ditch the trim and fit 69mm architrave around the door, then no need for a thin sliver of tile anywhere.

Or is that not an option?

9. Pollowick

The toilet is in the right hand corner of the wall shown, facing out at 45 degrees so it does not face the opening - the wall opposite will be painted!

10. Pollowick

69mm - a little large! However, it makes me think. Something over 30mm would mean I can use a 3 full tiles to the right (last may need a sliver off).

11. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

If you're getting slivers on a door/window/corner when starting from the centre using full tile or half tile just shift the centre line across a couple of centimetres.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Haven't looked at your dimensions but usually full tile either side of centre line, or start with a full tile centred on centre line. If that isn't working, then a shift by a quarter tile often works.