Garden water supply advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by shortstuff, May 23, 2016.

1. shortstuff

shortstuff New Member

Hi,

I currently have a hosepipe running along the base of my garden wall to the end of the garden. The garden is approx. 75' long. At some point I may want power at the bottom of the garden as well.

My wife has asked if we can put brick edging around the lawn so my plan is to bury a length of 40mm solvent welded waste pipe (with draw string!) in the trench and put a water pipe inside. My question is - what kind of pipe do I use? Regulations seem to suggest that MDPE should be 750mm underground but I really don't want to go that deep. Is it permitted to run MDPE at a shallower depth if I isolate the supply in winter?
    Currently the hosepipe attaches to the outside tap via a hozelock type connector - I find these a bit hit and miss so I'd prefer a more robust connector if possible. The outside tap is fed off a branch of the kitchen sink cold tap. I don't think there's any space to do any more pipe work under the sink but I could possibly do something on the outside wall...

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,
    Shortstuff

2. You can run what you want. And at whatever depth you want.

Provided it is isolatable like your current garden hose pipe is. Just like with your current hose, when you disconnect it for winter it is no longer an issue.

And a plastic water pipe inside a waste pipe is going to handle a pretty severe frost without issues anyways should you leave it on.

But best turn it orf in winter!

I think I'd use 15mm plastic plumbing pipe - like Speedfit or similar. Keep it as a single length underground - no joints (I'm sure you've thought of this).

25m isn't too long to pull something through, but you might still struggle to get your power cable through there afterwards, so consider running this at the same time. You can tape the ends, wrap them in plastic, tape again - and bury it until needed! With a stake showing where...

How to connect to your existing garden pipe? A hundred different ways. But it will need a good isolating tap and a non-return valve. Perhaps both in one. Are you planning to box around this fitting near the garden tap or just leave it open? Doesn't really matter either way as long as you shut it orf during winter.

I'd use a full-bore lever ball valve (eg: http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-lever-ball-valve/67744 ) with a http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-double-check-valve/96336

Actually, there are probably better options - perhaps both items in one - but that's an example. The simple 'tee' into your garden tap pipe.

If you post a photo of what's there - your garden tap - we might be able to help further.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15mm Speedfit is too small, I would use 20mm MDPE pipe, can tee off copper at house end where garden tap is & connect MDPE, & other end have a garden tap.
    Wouldn't use solvent weld, better to use proper ducting,more robust, look on Ebay, see item (172206812861 or 261917575686 ) loads of bargains if you search.:)

Put ducting down 300mm minimum, it's then beyond the depth of a fork.:rolleyes::oops:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you want power at the bottom of the garden you could / should think of this at the same time. You will need to get some advice from an Electrician on trench, connections and wiring requitements and how much of the work can be split between the two of you

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Missed the bit about power:oops:, I forget ducting & just lay swa cable & mdpe pipe in the trench at the same time.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wonder how much arguement this is going to cause

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops::oops::oops:

So 75', give or take a few feet, so many factors to consider, it will run & run this thread.:eek::rolleyes::D

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Yes,and we haven't even got to the bit about exporting an earth yet,to TT or not TT that is the question.lol

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We might be safe, this is plumbing section, sparks seldom stray out of their comfort zone.:rolleyes::p
    You only need to look at this thread, when a sparks dabbles in other trades...:rolleyes:

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/bath-tap-hole-co-up.176920/

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  10. shortstuff

shortstuff New Member

many thanks for the replies so far. As requested, here's a photo of the tap...

IMG_0080.JPG

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be able to tee off that pipe.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like a JG push fit elbow painted black.

Could swap for a tee piece, what is the current pressure flow rate like from the tap?

13. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Believe it or not,that is a John Guest brewery fitting! We used to use them on glycol lines from coolers,I think the rubber seals are chemically resistant,they're also suitable for compressed air. A lot of the lads used them at home,why buy a white one when you can get a black one for nothing?