Replacement 'J' Shape Double Glazing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Teams, May 26, 2016.

?

Does this look like poor workmanship?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2016.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Teams

Teams New Member

Hi Guys

A double glazing company has measured and manufactured 'J' shape bay (one large and two smaller windows) double glazing windows. The result is that the bay window is the wrong size, gap of 12cm, probably much more.

1)What the installer did in his first attempt was leave the window boards in place and try to install, as can be seen in Picture1, there is a gap between the frame and the wall. He didn't even add 'knock on's'.

2)What the installer has done in his second attempt Picture2 is add 'knock ons' and remove the window boards, move part of the frame forward to reduce the gap. They haven't been able to replace the original window boards, they took them away.

Window 1.JPG Window 2.JPG Window 3.JPG Window 4.JPG Window 5.JPG
    3)But this has created other issues. The finish between the frame, coupler and beading has cavities (the coupler is set back, but we've been told that it can be moved forwards) Picture3. The vertical finishing strips haven't been installed.

4)Too much of the frame has been covered up by a finishing strip (the company has stated this is within their installation standards) Picture4.

5)Original frame showing 'J' Shape bay window Picture5.

We took pictures as the installation was in progress.

A couple of questions, what does the window board sit on? What joins the window frames together, the technical name?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think its called a bay pole which fits between the frames.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The pictures arentt very clear, what does it look like outside. And the main question is have you paid?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Total carp!:eek:

Completely unacceptable.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No good. It's got to go.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

From the pictures look like much of a window board wouldn't fit.

Plastered reveals would b better. i think they may have made a measure, were they timber window boards previously?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I certianly wouldn't trust them to sort the problem, get another firm to sort the problem, & go to the small claims court to recovers costs, you would win easily.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Reject it, its rubbish.
    Don't be fobbed off with any "it'll be alright" it won't not until its been remade to the right size.

9. John Devlin

John Devlin New Member

Totally unacceptable.

10. Teams

Teams New Member

Jitender, it looks better on the outside, but it's the quality of the product and workmanship that is the issue. It has been paid for in full. It's one of the big four companies.

11. Teams

Teams New Member

The original window boards would fit, the frame has been moved forwards to accommodate the gap. They were timber window boards. There were 3 window boards, they took 2 of them away and left 1, that can be seen in the first picture.

12. Teams

Teams New Member

Thanks, I'll consider that, once all other avenues have been exhausted.

13. Teams

Teams New Member

We've sent them a rejection letter - under Consumer Rights 2015.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A member did post a while back and employed a dependent inspector when they had problems with a conservatory.

I was in a similar position a few years ago after paying money, cost me thousands in solicitor and could have ended up in court costing a further £5k for them to represent me. I don't bother with window installers anymore after this episode unless its sash windows, just fit myself and go through BC, less stress and hassle. And if anything is specified incorrectly I have only myself to blame.

If I hadn't paid the money ,then I would have been in a much stronger position. Also if the cost is below £10k, which is very unlikely then you cant claim back costs from their side.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Small claim court limit is 10k now..

Where is DA.:)

16. Teams

Teams New Member

Jitender

The Company concerned are members of the GGF (who are pretty useless, but lets see), they operate a so called conciliation scheme to resolve complaints. Failing that there is an arbitration scheme that they can refer you too, if it still can't be resolved after conciliation, that costs £120, you pay 20% costs of a site visit if it's required. I've just checked their surveyors document, doesn't read well, total width missing, some figures wrong way around.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select