How Is This Possible?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by palavaman, May 26, 2016.

1. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I have been made to understand that whereever there is a female, there are many men around, trying to win her attention. But I have a problem as my Pumpkin female flower is due to open in a day or two at the most, but all the 10 or more male flowers are still closed? Looks like they are in no hurry to provide any service to the female flower? Are they kinda ''bent'' or what's going on? I was told the male flowers should open days before the female flowers open. This is doing my head in.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Google pumpkin pollination, hand pollination:)

And I nearly dimiss this as SPAM!:oops:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You need bees.

upload_2016-5-26_13-0-41.jpeg

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trouble is it's a bit cold to leave greenhouse door open & expect them to make a beeline to the pumpkins.[​IMG]

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Must be EU pumpkins if they are straight!:D:rolleyes:

palavaman likes this.
  6. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

This is to prevent pollination by male flowers in the same 'patch' which are likely to be closely related. Curiously enough, they open at the same time in Norfolk.

7. palavaman

Kiab is right about Hand Pollination, which is the way I wanted to go as there are FOUR varieties of Pumpkins in the same patch, so I do not want to leave it to the bees as Cross Pollination will prevail!!!
    My intention was to hand pollinate at least two pumpkin in every vine(They will be allowed at most 3 pumpkind per plant), then put a McDonalds bag over them to stop the bees gaining access to them. But with the males not prepared to ''lift off'', what are my chances? So much for trying to be the first to get my pumpkin to fruit, fffttt. And what is even more annoying is that the female flower has now opened. DAMMED.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Chastity belt. Thas what ya want.

10. palavaman

Thanks Joiner. The trouble is: The male flowers (at least 10 of them) are making no effort to open, so I'm confused. I have plucked off one of the male flowers and opened up the bud, but it's obvious the male flower hasn't matured as the pollen is not lifting off.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is Palava going to have to give his pumpkin a sherman? :eek::eek::eek:

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or a Triumph!

13. palavaman

None of the above chaps!!
    I think this Hand Job idea is getting your minds on a wrong mind set. Anyway, one of the male flowers of the other variety is likely to open in a day or two. To ensure I do not loose the plant that has flowered, I will just have to cross pollinate it. Not what I wanted, but it means I get to keep the fruit. I might start a new variety. Watch out for me in Chelsea Flower Show in 5yrs time. What a Palava. All this stress and sleepless nights over a pumpkin???

14. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Think you'll find if you're patient other female flowers will develop along with other male flowers as it's very early in the season and before long you'll have a couple open simultaneously. That's what I usually find anyway and it's best to restrict to two pumpkins per plant, or only one if you have more than one plant in case one gets attacked or is misshapen. I feed mine on ordinary tomato food such as tomorite, same strength and half a gallon of it every 3 days or so then book yourself in for the hernia repair!!

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ever 3 days:eek:, use to feed mine once a week.

16. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Depends what you're growing in, if planted in something which contains the water you can cut the feeding frequency down but once formed and growing fast in open ground in dry conditions feeding every three days or so with watering between as well seems to work best for me

17. palavaman

Thanks everyone. The female flower has ''shut shop?'' But now it looks as if the males may open in a few days time.I think Ramsey is on the ball. I will just waith for the other female flowers to develop and flower. Two are coming along. Two of the Melons have now flowered. But doubt they will come to anything. It's early yet, so patience is called for (so says Ramsey!!!). The other chaps are looking at me confused and wondering how and why my pumpkins are ''running'' this early? I ain't telling them yet till I see some proper results ---FRUITS

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maybe Triumph position!:eek:

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Still not getting it.