Kitchen fit problem

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DavidBlue, May 28, 2016.

1. DavidBlue

DavidBlue New Member

Definitely an ameture here and wanting to save some money. Purchased a kitchen for the mother in law and as it is only 8 cabinets, I thought I could do it. What has flumoxed me is the "plant on ends" I have these for a few base units and all of the wall cabinets. The problem is, they are all far bigger than the actual carcass. I thought it was an error in the order, but I have what was recommended at purchase. They are all taller and wider than the ends of the cabinets. I was hoping to finish by Tuesday. Obviously being an BH I cant get hold of the supplier until Tuesday... Any ideas?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The base unit ones will be, the base unit sits off the floor on legs and off the wall a little to allow for services, the end panel won't as it needs to touch the floor and wall to look right.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The end panels fit on last, last time I fitted units they protruded out by 20mm (or thickness of the door).

May have to scribe cut some of them.

4. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

The wall units could be longer so the pelmet and or cornice buts to then but Base ones need cut to height all clad on end should be roughly 20mm wider the units are deep so that when the door is closed they fit flush look in the kitchen brochure it may give you amy idea if u look at the photos

5. DavidBlue

DavidBlue New Member

I have left them until last and I have around 30mm too much height and depth. I thought they would be a standard fit. The base cabinets are on the legs already and I have 28mm too much height. Cutting them is going to add a fair bit more time to get the job done.

Attached Files:

6. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

B and q? Try splitting the difference with the wall ones and fir cornice ad pelimits to them

Attached Files:

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nah, they're wrong!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As others have said, the ones for the base units need to be cut to size. Usually scribed to the wall at the back, leaving 20mm or so sticking out at the front so they line up with the doors. The wall unit ones are usually set with the overlap equal at the top and bottom. ;);)

CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As JJ says, usually have 20mm overhang at front so doors fit 'inside'.
    You'll need to cut them to height to suit the floor, but the cut needs to be at the floor and not at the worktop as the floor is often not square to the wall. The worktop to the unit will be square though so measure down at front, then rear and mark your cut line. Rub some clear silicon into the cut edge after to stop moisture causing the chipboard to swell.

For the wall units, its usual for them to have the same 20mm overhang at the front and for the top to be flush with the top of the cabinet. The overhang will be at the bottom and the pelmet will sit inside this. There are variations though, but you usually don't need to cut them to height, but you sometimes need to scribe the back to suit the wall.

Here's a pic of a kitchen I've just fitted(part way through) if it helps.

Attached Files:

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Cutting these is just part of the job sorry.

CGN likes this.
  11. JohnLuke

JohnLuke New Member

Hi David, base panels are usually 900 x 655 to be cut to 870 x 600ish, we usually supply wall panels way over size so they can be left hanging around 50mm above and below wall units so you don't have to mitre and return cornice and pelmet, and you normally have to scribe the back of the panels into the shape of the wall
    Regards
    Frank

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Christ, whatever happened to buying a square cabinet and fixing it straight to the wall?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

EU regulation 24BK subsection 2a paragraph b, 'squareness of pre 1970's kitchen walls' (vertical).

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Handy, you may be very lucky to live in a house where the walls are vertical, straight and the floor is perfectly level, but most of us live in the real world where things just ain't like that. ;);)

CGN likes this.
  15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I remember fitting Moben kitchens. No end panels just white screw cover caps. Lovely and quick to fit.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Exactly :)

Lucky to have a bit of excess to trim, rather than needing to take shares out in caulk :D

17. DavidBlue

DavidBlue New Member

Thanks all. It all makes sense now. I can see why they are oversized, but made the whole job that much harder. I may leave these off for now.