BS 7671:2008 amended to??? Fill in the blank

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Plumber001, May 30, 2016.

1. Plumber001

Plumber001 Member

Can someone settle something? When completing an Electrical Installation Certificate where you have to fill in the section "...accordance with BS7671:2008 amended to ________", what date should be put in this box?

Obviously A3 came in on 01/01/2015, but the requirements for CU's didn't come in as compulsory until 01/01/2016. So which date should be used to fill the blank?

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

You have answered your own question.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

2015. The metal c/unit is part of the AMD3 which came out in 2015.

4. Plumber001

Plumber001 Member

You know as daft as it sounds, I thought I was right. The only thing that got me questioning my own logic was a conversation I was having, but the way I see it A3 is the latest amendment which launched 01/01/2015. The 01/01/2016 is just an update of A3 if you like, so the actual amendment of BS7671:2008 would be to 2015.

Although I suppose it'll soon be time for another Regs book as an excuse to get another £60+ out of us! I wonder what colour they'll go for next?

5. nffc

nffc Active Member

If you purchase the book you will see the date written on the front of it. ;)

6. Plumber001

Plumber001 Member

Got it... BS7671:2008+A3:2015. It was just the whole update with the metal CU's not coming in until 2016 that I was checking about. To be honest if they didn't cock about with Amendments and updates until it was time for a new Regs book and just allow you to download them instead, it would save us all thousands over the course of our careers! Anyway I don't want to be the one to drag up an old talking point...

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

2018 red.

8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You can just take out a subscription to IET Electrical Standards, you view online or download to PC or tablet. Best value is probably the Silver package but I find the Bronze one sufficient at the moment.

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

The metal CU coming into force on January 2016 was not an update.

The regulation was updated on release from January of 2015 and was in force from that time. The only difference was that the compulsory installation of a metal CU was only deemed compulsory come January 2016 as to allow manufacturers and old stock of the plastic consumer units to be updated.

The regulation for the metal CU came in 2015 it was just relaxed until 2016 for the reasons above, that was all.
    If you were able to obtain a Amend3 consumer unit in 2015 then you should have been fitting it, the relaxed regulation until 2016 was not for you but for manufacturers to design and build the new units.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I started fitting AMD3's last August.

fire likes this.