Party Wall Dispute

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, May 23, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had a reply back from PW surveyor, he mentioned that he cannot guarantee that they accept it.

The award must now be produced and served inline with the statutory requirements of the act.

It just looks like they are having concerns with the methods, and have made it clear that cutting into the party wall for the steels are to be done from with our property, they would want to see the 100mm bearing followed.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think so too.

Writing out the statement, already done 1 page and nowhere near completing :(

Will just have to try my best and see what happens, otherwise will have to go with the Telebeams.

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Method statements can be a pita,I've done plenty but on one job the HSE were involved and it went stupid,glanding an armoured for example,you not only had to describe the way in which it was done but also how you'd remove the waste after each operation.There were about 20 of the damned things and they wanted the procedure described for each one,I.e make one off remove waste to skip then start next one.we all know in reality you'd do all 20 then clear up afterwards,sometimes I think they just want to be difficult,like a lot of things.
    I once worked in a plant that was cooled by ammonia,their h&s bod told me in the event of a leak alarm to follow the green line to my muster point.he wasn't pleased when I pointed out an exit to outside that was about 10 feet away and politely told him that if there was a leak then that's where I'd be headed.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I contacted the SE for some more sketch details/drawings. Just a bit worried they may not be happy with the method statement and start being picky, also worrying they may start asking for relevant insurance etc..

Its' hard work trying to right down everything.

5. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Oh yes definately,as it's something that could potentially affect their property if it all goes wrong they'll almost certainly want to see the insurance paperwork for whoever is carrying out the work.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've done the method statement (4 pages in total).

It's now been sent to the PW surveyor together with some drawings, and the SE one.

Now just awaiting a reply.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've been putting it off for a while :oops:, it's like doing and assignment at college, boy were they tough.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have had a reply back from the party wall surveyor.

They have 2 concerns with the method statement:

1) The council surveyors has concerns with the absence of concrete pad-stones. When I had they structural drawings done, the engineer had advised to use either concrete pad-stones or steel spreader plates. I decided to go for steel spreader plates, as it meant less cutting out. The steel size I was given is 300x100x10mm, and concrete pad stones were 330x100x215mm.

When the floor steels go in they have to be a min of 25mm above the existing ceiling rafters. If steel plates were used all work could be contained within the loft, but now it may be 1-2bricks below ceiling which would be in bedroom. Don't really want to be position them any higher as it would bean the long hangers would need to be used for the floor joist.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got a reply back today and the council are now happy for the use of steel spreader plates. SE had mentioned to use either concrete or steel spreader plates on the drawings.

Need to update the method statement to show how the party wall will be protected in inclement weather, and hopefully an award can be issued.

Also going to see if they are happy to have the aerial cable holes re-positioned.

10. It's moving at last?!

Coooool :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Progress.:)

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Using the steel plates are a lot easier, and the opening doesn't have to be as big, so less chance of damage to the other side.

Nearly had my mind set on the telebeams, but if a dormer was to be created the cost would have went upto £7800, and a steel ridge beam was still needed anyway, so a PW agreement needed to be made.

Will be using C24 170x45 @ 300c/c or C24 170x75 @400c/c, was going to go for the i joists.

The next major job is to fit the steel work, will be making the steels into 2-3 sections (because it a prefab truss roof) and each will weight upto 90kg so need a min of 3 people to lift.

Just need to recheck all the measurements again, before ordering.

When the award has been made we will try to push for an earlier start date, the 2 months notice had to be given anyway but if they can agree an earlier start date which will override the notice.

After the award has been made, there is a 14 day period if each side want to appeal, but it is unlikely that they would now.

The plan is to get all the floor steels in first, then will get BC to check everything, before fitting in ridge beam.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to push for a earlier start date, if everyone agrees.:)
    And what put you off I joists.

Seen a few loft conversions where they used Easi-joist,instead of I joists.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The easi joist could have spanned at 7.2m without steels on PW, but the height would be 350mm+.

The SE gave a max span of 4.2M for the sizes I gave in C24.

Just trying to save headroom, if I had the extra room would go for engineered joists.

145mm JJI joists span at 3400mm @ 300c/c or next size up is 195mm.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All makes sense now,:) annoying when you lacking the headroom.:(

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will have another look at the JJI joists it is giving 195x47 @ 480c/c max.

There are 2" battens between the joists to support the plasterboard edges, so may cut out a section, but allowing a min. of 20mm clearance from plasterboard.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was in B&Q last week ans saw some C16 timbers, they were badly bowed, and now thinking to go for engineered joists, 25mm won't hurt :oops:

The surveyor is picking up on a few 'technical points'.

Some wording needs to be changed, and SE drawings number should not be written in brackets, and missed Rev no etc. Just finalizing everything.

Should of got Devs to read check:D

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Engineered joists every time, I've seen C16 just as bad over the years, it's only fit for firewood.:)
    And some was in proper sawmills, not some diy shed.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Def will go for the engineering joist, especially at this span which would be 4m or over.

C16/24 ok for smaller spans.