Brickwork Quote Opinion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tharrison, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Tharrison

Tharrison New Member

Hi Guys,

Looking for a sanity check on quotes I have just got for some brick work. I'll give as much detail as I can, but I really just want to check I'm not getting ripped off!

Work as follows:

Extend existing 6ft high double skinned garden wall by 7ft. This is brickwork, and the new bit will be teethed into the old so there is no join. Foundation is already in place.

Install 4x double brick air bricks through cavity wall, wall faced with brick.

Brick up single standard sized external door way in cavity wall, block work inside / brick outside. New brickwork to be teethed into original.

Remove 3x small (3ft x 2ft high) brick plinths that an oil tank used to sit on

Break and lift concrete slab size 9 feet x 6 feet then lay new flags (2 feet x 3 feet size) on top.

I have already bought all materials, so just labour really. No waste removal included.

So far I have quotes of £2500 and £1200, quite a difference hence the need for some opinions !

Thanks in advance !

2. Working On It

Working On It Member

Tharrison, I would say that the £1200 quote is way out and would say that the £2500 to me, is a very very good price...

If you can get all that done for £1200, bonus
    WOI

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Labour wise there's only a week work at the most, so two peeps doing the work would be around the 1400/1500 mark, if the guy that said 1200 seems like a decent sort then take him up on it.

The 2500 is a joke for the work involved, Labour only.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite often these days I am see more experienced guys whom can do the worker quicker and better and hence cheaper than the less experienced. A customer had to have some drains sleeved recently and she had huge range in costs, when I was talking to the guy who got the job he said the problem is the less experienced guys tend to &@#* it up then have to bail themselves out with more work and more cost.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very true.