Replaced syphon but very poor water flow from cistern to pan (pics)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kyle Burnip, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Kyle Burnip

Kyle Burnip New Member

Hi,

Toilet was having problems with the syphon, kept having to flush the handle multiple times to get the syphon going, took the old syphon out and the diaphragm was in tatters. So i bought a new dual flush opella syphon, installed it fine, but the water flowing from the syphon down the pan is so poor it won't even flush away a single piece of toilet paper, when I first put it in and flushed it a couple of times it worked fine, now after a couple of flushed it's just terrible. I checked to make sure there was a gap between to bottom of the cistern and the diaphragm and there is plenty room, it's not touching the bottom or anything.

The only thing I can think of is trying a flomaster or something.

I have taken a couple of pictures so you can see the situation and a couple of pictures of the old syphon even though they are pretty much identical in every way.

I'v also tried taking the handle off of the hook and just pulled the syphon up manually and still the cistern completely empties just at a slow rate, there is no force to it, so it's not pushing anything away that's in the pan.

the water level is set an inch below the overflow as recommended. stumped.

Old syphon -:

rsz_old_syphon_2.jpg rsz_old_syphon.jpg rsz_20160729_204739.jpg rsz_20160729_204807.jpg rsz_20160729_204752.jpg

2. Kyle, when you flush, how far does the cistern empty? Does the water level drop right down to the large rectangular 'mouth' at the siphon's bottom?

Kyle Burnip likes this.
  3. Kyle Burnip

Kyle Burnip New Member

There's like maybe an inch of water left in the cistern after the slow flush is complete, but at first when it was working alright all of the water would be sucked out of the cistern quickly and barely no water would be left. i'v tried to think of every possible reason this doesn't work and I haven't got a clue, there's no reason for it not to work, well it does work, it's just very slow empty rate from cistern to the pan.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Yup - KIAB's suggestions will sort it :)

Kyle, see the blue clip on the side of your old siphon? Is there anything similar to that on the new one? Or even a hole punched right through?

That can mess things up. I understand it's designed to save water by reducing the flush capacity, but allowing water to squish in there might well affect the flow rate.

If there is one, see if you can block it. Even temporarily using gaffa tape as a test.

tore81 and Kyle Burnip like this.
  6. Kyle Burnip

Kyle Burnip New Member

went to screwfix bought new flush valve as KIAB recommended, the water still wasn't flowing fully. What the problem was is the pipe that connects the cistern to the pan, had pushed too far into the pan input, so it was pushed right against the porcelain inside of the pan, so water was escaping around the pipe causing the slow but complete flow, so pulled the pan back a bit, now the water flows as it should with force, flushes everything out of the pan now. So didn't even have to replace it but glad I did because it's superior to the regular old syphons, now if it breaks I can just detach and reattach, so that will save some hassle in the future.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. A+++ !

tore81 likes this.
  7. D'oh!

Happy New Flush :)

Kyle Burnip likes this.