Put a hole thu a stone wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Destech, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Destech

Destech New Member

Hi, I want to put a 40mm hole through a stone wall 460mm thick. I have a Titan 5kg SDS drill, but would like some advice on which bits inc brands and extensions I would need.
    Many thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire a 40mm diamond core bit & extension.

Destech likes this.
  3. Destech

Destech New Member

Thanks KIAB , That was my initial thought but already having an sds I wondered if there was another option

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You will also need a 500mm 8mm sds bit, to drill pilot hole right through wall, saves as misalignment.

What you add up cost of 40mm diamond core drill,(better than tct core bit) plus extension, your looking at around £25 to buy.

With a diamond core bit being 150mm length plus the 200mm (drill from both sides) or even a 450mm sds shank, (drill from one side), you will not need an extension.
    Diamond core bit about £7 a day to hire.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not sure if you will find a 40mm core - 38 and 48 are typical sizes from the better makes.

And make sure that the hammer/impact is turned OFF.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get 42mm diamond core drill bit,gives a bit of wiggle room.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I did say from better makes ... I have had a look at mine, mostly Marcrist, and they have tick box size lists and none show 42mm. A quick Google search does show some at 42mm and I agree with wiggle room. That said, I would go to 48mm and use some foam/mortar to seal and it would only be 4mm either side.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, makes sense, & it's cheaper to hire a better quailty core bit, than buy a cheap core bit.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As well as the core bit try and find a long cold chisel quite depending on your type of wall you will find the core drill will cut through quite nice and you will have to break off some of the core inside the wall or bits of stone will come lose and drop into the hole.

As Kiab says drill a hole all the way through from one side to the other first. This not only provides a guide for the cutter but also allows you to cut from both sides - if you try and cut all the way through from one side to the other as the core breaks through you can knock off a huge section of wall!

And as others have said whatever you do don't have the hammer setting on as it won't work so well and you may not be able to separate the SDS cutter from the drill!

And keep a swear box nearby and a spare set of biceps !

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen two diy accidents with peeps using core drills & they catch/jammed causing drill to spin...:eek:(shouldn't if drill has clutch)
    One just got broken bloody nose, other was on steps, when drill jammed,he fell about 8', broken nose,shoulder & a few cracked ribs.:)

And, let the drill core at it's own pace, no need to put excessive pressure on drill, more likely to jam then.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Years ago broke a bone in my wrist with a drill that "had" a clutch, either defective or wasn't fitted. Of all things it was the arm that I was holding the side handle - the thing whipped round and the handle caught the bone beautifully. :(