Weatherseal Query

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Alchad, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Alchad

Alchad New Member

Hi,

We fitted new double glazed oak windows about 12 years ago and a couple of them seem to be more draughty than they used to be, so I've just bought and replaced the weatherseal in one of them using the same weatherseal (Schlegel AQ 109) which was fitted originally. However - without the benefit of a howling gale outside to test! - I get the impression that the window should be closing more tightly on the seal.
    As fitted all the windows have a 5 to 6mm gap around them and according to the specification of the AQ 109 it is 6.8mm thick, so there is theoretically some compression, but when I close the windows there doesn't seem to be a great deal.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, or should I perhaps be looking for a slightly thicker seal as there doesn't seem any way to adjust the closing thickness of the window.

Thanks

Alan C

2. PLPlanning

PLPlanning New Member

Hi Alan,
    If you've used the same seals, I would be cautious of putting slightly thicker ones to give a better seal.
    We have had some hot weather recently and there might be some shrinkage that has occurred. If this is the case you might find fitting different seals will mean in wetter weather when they expand slightly, you might not shut them...or open them.:mad:
    Are they South facing?
    Paul

3. Alchad

Alchad New Member

T

Thanks Paul, yes they are south facing, will just have to wait and see.

Regards

4. Marshall Mosby

Marshall Mosby New Member

Yeah dude. Wait and maybe the problem with all shrinking and expanding will go for the good with acclimatisation.