Best type of timber for garden fence?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by BMC2000, Oct 7, 2016.

1. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Hi

I am going to stick up a 1.9m high by 4m privacy screen fence.

One end will be fixed to a garage wall so I am thinking if hammer fixing a treated 50*50mm vertical batten to that wall to fix the horizontal timber rails to which will support the proposed 1.9m vertical boards.

There will be a 50*50mn galvanized post which will be 1.9m above ground and 300 below with a cranked foot of about 200mm, bedded in post Crete. The galv post will have lugs either side for bolting the horizontal rails too.

At the end of the end I need another galvanized post, one side will have lugs for rails but in the future I will want to fit a door so will need to be able to fit a door frame to the galvanized post. What would be the best way for me to have this post manufactured that it will be easy to fix a door frame to it in the future? A series of holes through the post so I can fix a bolt through the door frame and out the other side of the post and fit a nut?

Finally...I want to is 150mm wide fence boards with a 3-5mm gap then a 50mm board then a 150mm board. These will be stained but I want a type of timber that will do this job well in this external situation and not be too much of a maintenance headache.

Cheers

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're overthinking this.

longboat likes this.
  3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Pressure treated weather boards ; 22mm seam to be the order of the day on a local timber yards site.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Now you're just gibbering :)

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

It's now built in my mind, that's half the battle!

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would use synthetic fence posts something like http://www.ecofencing.net/products/wood-grain-fencing/1/

and even consider the fence timber as synthetic.

One thing that helps stiffen the fence especially around the gate is to do a small return off the gate post with another post. Infill the gap with some timber and trellis. Also this way you don't need to put in a header above the gate

upload_2016-10-8_0-41-59.png

BMC2000 likes this.
  7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Cheers for the idea Sospan, I'll look into this