Shed build

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by FatHands, May 7, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have 2 heavy gates in my garden and they are very heavy! Made of thick decking. 2 Hinges each are more than adequate. I was thinking of 3 but they are meaty hinges.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats easy to add surely? Maybe some nice 'L' shape sections down each corner?

Looking good though!

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks for pointing that out Sos. I was contemplating putting a vertical noggin on each door.

Hi Wiggy. I must admit i was thinking about door stops but didn't consider the door being booted inwards! I guess i could place a piece of 4x2 on something like this:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmongery/d170/Shed+&+Gate+Ironmongery/sd2947/Slip+Rail+Bracket/p35354

on the inside so the door butts up against it to act as a door stop and for security too.

I am going to attach some corner pieces to the corners when i get round to it.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What I would do is get some gravel board and rip it down to into strips wide enough to cover the nail holes. Use this to make a capping to cover the end grain and nail holes. Then when your misses visits B&Q (or elsewhere) and sees all the coloured stains available, you will have "fun" applying the pastel shades for the timber and trim ;)

FatHands likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If the doors where framed the other way round (i.e. 100mm face to the front, 50mm to the edge) your doors would finish half way in the wall , in which case you could have an internal door stop all the way round. Is your cladding nailed or screwed, if its screwed you might want to think about remaking the doors.
    Nice job though.

FatHands likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about something like this.:cool:

[​IMG]

or this....

[​IMG]

FatHands likes this.
  7. FatHands

thanks Sos, that's a good idea! On the subject of stain, what type of paint would you guys recommend to protect my new home, i mean shed

Thanks Wiggy. I did consider that approach but with sheds being targets for theives thought the further the doors protrude from the frame (100mm) the easier it would be to hit them/prize them off.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Superdec is supposed to be really good

FatHands likes this.
  9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I wouldn't worry too much, mate, that bunker will still be standing when were all pushing up daisies, excellent work you should be proud.
    As for finishes... It depends on what you want, but I'd leave it a few months for the tanalith treatment to dry out. :)

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

Thanks for this LB, will do mate

11. FatHands

Got the security bar on and braced doors from inside. Few more questions if I may:

I have attached the loglap with just one screw on each length, per upright (in the middle). Will this be enough, or should I add some more?

Wasn't planning on insulation (or should I?) - but what about ventilation? Should I drill some 13mm holes at the bottom of the walls in the shape of a square to allow some air to get in there?

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If it's a felt roof or similar, it will get boiling in the sun, some simple vent grilles and cut out wood would benefit well - cut up a sieve or similar mesh to put behind the vent, next door ended up with a wasps nest with them all entering through the vent! Nice build though- I've never seen such a solid built shed. Always like over engineering!

FatHands likes this.
  13. FatHands

Thanks Joe I never thought about wasps or heat on the roof (EPDM) to be honest. Cheers

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

No problem Fats, just things I've come across before. You must have a lot of pride in that shed, I'm still surprised how well it's built! Did you get the concrete posts notched like that or did you cut them?

15. FatHands

Thanks, appreciated ;)

I found them online already made like that mate and Selco got them in for me. This is what I used :

http://www.supremeconcrete.co.uk/general/dekblok-and-dekpost/

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Love this thread.

Going to refer my Mrs to it next time she says I'm OCD and over-engineer everything. That shed base is something to behold.

longboat and KIAB like this.
  17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Fats - liking your work here.

I am about to embark on something similar. What size of timbers did you use on your deck posts? What ball bark material cost would you guesstimate you used for your project? £600??

18. Jacksy

Jacksy New Member

Hi fellas
    New to forum, so hope you do not mind me hijacking this old thread.

I am in the process of building myself a very big garden bar.

I want to finish the outside of the bar in a plastic cladding can anybody recommend a good, reasonably priced system and a seller in Hull?

cheers

19. Tom Sharland

Tom Sharland New Member

I know this is an old thread now, but can anyone tell me where the concrete posts are from. I can't seem to find anything online.

Edit - Read the whole thread and found a link

Rebecca Page likes this.
  20. Rebecca Page

Rebecca Page New Member

hiya. Wanting to build a foundation for our new shed and loving this idea. Just wondering what you used product and size wise to secure the wood to the concrete x