Radiator issue: I turn to minimum one and another one stops working

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ewula, Oct 25, 2016.

1. ewula

ewula New Member

Hello, could anybody advise? If I turn a radiator in the guest room into minimum also the radiator in the kitchen stops working (it is cold). The same goes for the radiator in the dining area, if I turn it to minimum then also the radiator in the living room gets cold. It doesnt work vice versa. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

A diagram of the layout and or pics might help. Have any of theses been altered or are they original?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sounds like they are piped up in a one pipe system (in one out and then in the next one and out) either a total mess of an installation or a very old one (1960's or so).
    Modern systems are two pipe, hot in then out to a return to the boiler the hot then carries on to the next rad and has a pipe back to the boiler again.
    One pipe have two faults, the first rad gets hot but the last will be cooler because the water as been through a number of rads and as in your case shutting any valve on that circuit will turn the whole circuit off.

Best guess is a diy extension of the system to increase the heat in the lounge and get a rad into the guest room or in many cases the kitchen did not have a radiator originally.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

im with you on that , lets hope more info