Die Lorelie - Loft

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thought I'd post some photos of my loft "conversion", might fill you with a bit of inspiration and to share some ideas.

Moved into this place in January, loft had old steel c/w tank (disconnected) and an concrete asbestos tank, both have been removed and a 75 gall poly tank installed. New loft ladder shown in another post.

Bulk of the work has been in boarding and insulation this space, its going to be used just for storage as head height is limited, roof pitch is 30 degrees. Joists and rafters are 3"x2", so I battened these out with 45mm x 45mm treated timber and fixed using No.10 3.5" screws. 100mm of Knauf Earthwool is going between the joists, 70mm Quinn Therm between the rafters (sitting against 19x38 battens to provide 50mm air gap) and then covered with Airtec double to provide a VCL. So the loft space pretty much becomes part of the house.

I reckon these 3 types of insulation combined brings the total value to around modern days specs.

Work in progress a short while back, you can see the QuinnTherm and battening in the roof, floor has been battened and boarded, cold water tank in place.

[​IMG]

I made up these airetc "pockets" to go into the eaves for extra insulation and better seal this area from the outside, as the QuinnTherm was difficult to cut/shape so low down.

[​IMG]

Pop them in place, later they get stapled and foil tape over the joins

[​IMG]

Here you can see the pocket in place and there's another layer over it from the airtec on the rafters, Knauf Earthwool being laid. All nice and airtight, super cosy.

[​IMG]

One half is now all done, flooring is screwed down.

[​IMG]

Now working on the airtec pockets on the other side, the area behind the water tank is inaccessible, will need to remove the tank for this, as a last step.

[​IMG]

snappyfish likes this.
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lots of work and only using for storage?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes it is lots of work. Many hours, and whilst it is only being used for storage the main benefit is in the insulation. Couldn't see a better way of doing it (a) with this level of insulation (b) having a large area for storage which the OH will need and she can get access to.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

How thick is the insulation under the boards?

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Under the boards is 100mm Knauf Earthwool. Thought I might as well put something there as otherwise its wasted space.

6. Worst move I ever made was making the loft easily accessible to the wife. Its now just an overused junk storage area!

But yours looks good

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks JoT, we both have quite a bit of stuff and frankly I don't know how families manage in modern houses where there is next to no storage. Lofts are often dirty and damp, this will be clean, warmish and dry so suitable for storing clothes. Its very useful if one can swap winter and summer clothes twice a year, makes for less stuff in the bedroom and a lot less storage needed there.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks quite big, but headroom looks like 1.6m?

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh loft is around 6m x 6.6m floor area but I can barely stand in the middle and I'm 175cm.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to be doing mine soon, maybe new year.

Been working on altering the inside to allow for stairs as well as moving service.

Went for telebeams which have all been delivered, mum said its too cold to work outside, but want to make a start as can't really do anything until the floors is in.

Will need to get scaffolding in place to get the beams in.

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just looked at the telebeams, should make a good conversion. I tried to do away with those diagonal roof supports but there was no way I could without incurring a lot of expense, and the limited roof height meant there wasn't enough height to allow this space to be used for anything other than storage. A proper roof conversion is out of the question for me. Will be doing a side and rear ground floor extension at some point.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just cleared out the last of the old glass fiber insulation, am going to make a start with the conversion.

Will have to put insulation back but not looking to use glass fibre, as is itchy. The stuff you used looks good. The specs originally said to use 100mm mineral wool.

Need to be doing something.

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The Knauf Earthwool is good, hardly itchy at all, didn't wear a mask installing it and hardly coughed a bit. I've put 100mm down between the joists, modern regs would dictate 270mm of this stuff but of course there's 70mm PIR and Airtec in the roof.

Its also easy to cut with an insulation knife.

[​IMG]

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What does it mean by 'Die Lorelie'?

Sounds German?

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It is, its my house name, actually "Die Lorelei", named after a big slate rock on the Rhine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei

Don't ask me why it has this name, it came with the house.

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Why does the house have that name David? :D:p

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've gone for 50mm rock wool acoustic sound insulation.

There are quite a few 47mm noggins between the joists, so these will fill the gap.

Need to get something up there as all the heat is escaping, heating on but still feels cold.

Once this layer is on will buy the another 50/100mm layer and cover over the top. sO overal would be 100 or 150mm depending on which one I buy.

the eaves section will just use the mineral wool to the 300mm spec, may put eaves storage so could possibly be less here in some places. Maybe 1.2m (floor board size).

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Righty, all finished in the loft! Here are some photos of the work behind the cold water tank that was waiting till the end

[​IMG]

Here's the tank, access behind is impossible due the boiler flue behind and to the left of it. Yes the expansion pipe is only 15mm, but that's what's fitted from where the hot water pipe Ts off right by the tank. Can't see it being a problem, from what I can tell no water has come out of it.

[​IMG]

Tank removed, the 45mm x 45mm treated battens were already in place, these go on to the rafters which are 3" x 2" giving a total of 120mm depth.

[​IMG]

Screwed on the 19x38 battens against which the 70mm PIR insulation sits

[​IMG]

Here's a typical cut for the eaves PIR, gawd knows how many measurements and cuts are needed, not straight forward this stuff. There are about 160 pieces in all.

[​IMG]

Eaves PIR in place, you can see the 50mm air gap behind them and each piece is chamfered for easier insertion. I got very good at measuring and cutting at the end so each piece is a firm fit.

[​IMG]

PIR complete.

[​IMG]

Airtec "pockets" are made to go into the eaves between the rafters, then the first sheet of airtec goes over, so in the eaves there is double thickness.

[​IMG]

Airtec done, 100mm Knauf Earthwool laid between the joists. Just a bit more airtec up to the ridge to do, as per the following video!

Joe95 likes this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

And here's a wee video, enjoy!

snappyfish, Taz9126 and Joe95 like this.