CH help for elderly couple...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Not Too Sure, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Good result :)

(Er, you won't leave that bleed screw open when you leave the hoosie, will you...?)

KIAB likes this.
  2. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Active Member

No, bleed screw will be opened and closed with me stood there with a bucket !!! :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

When a plumber goes to give blood he always takes a bleed key with him. :confused:

CGN likes this.
  4. Not Too Sure

Hi,

So all the rads were working bar one post putting sentinel x800 in...however now apparently the dining room which started becoming red hot has now started to only get luke warm.

It's almost like something has been dislodged but then gone around and got stuck elsewhere?

Does this sound like a blockage at the manifold, as surprised that something has changed the way it has?

Any ideas?

Maybe now is the time to put a hose pipe in the tank in the loft and see if a mains flush will help? :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Does sound like there is crud flowing round the system and that possibly the Magnetic Filter is full and not able to take any more.

Get the filter cleaned and back in and see how much it picks up in an hour of running - that should give an idea about how much crud there is. If the X800 doe snot sort it, you may have to resort to taking each rad off and cleaning, then running te system with just on open at a time to try and dislodge any more muck.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I found the X800 a very effective cleaner, within a hour of using it here, several radiators which I had problems with earlier & had been just warm, were now fairly hot.

7. Not Too Sure

Ok thanks, will give this a go on the weekend and report back.

8. Not Too Sure

Just as an update - I cleaned the very filthy mag filter earlier this week and I did the same again today, obviously it was less gunked up this time around.

For the rads that were still not working, I opened the drain plug on each and emptied about 2 bucket full of water from the feed side and then same again but on the return (as someone suggested). There was very strong water flow on the feed and return (hence assume blockage got released when I did this) and lots of black sludge came out, but only fine little bits this time. - so I'm assuming the sentinel did it's job :)

All the radiators are now fully working thanks to all your help - albeit the one in the lounge is only lukewarm, but I've played around with the balancing so hopefully when I go back tonight that will have resolved that (both feed and return water seemed quite strong when I did the bucket thing - the radiator also got piping hot!).

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all :)

PS will put some inhibitor into the system on Saturday

FatHands likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  10. Wow! Cool! What a result!

As well as inhibitor, it might be worth adding X900 which is a long-term filter aid. I think it would be useful to keep that gung coming out, and inhibitor alone might not do that.

Then visit once a month to clean their filter is you can.

You're a hero, man :D

ARGH! KIAB GOT THERE AGAIN!!!:D

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Ooh - I'm looking forward to stuffing from KIAB :D

13. Pollowick

Thanks for te feedback. If the one remaining luke warm rad is still not heating up fully, turn a few of the others off to maximise flow through it and then start to slap the radiator in the middle ant the bottom. You may have a sludge mountain that needs to be shifted and normal flow just goes over it. Slapping and rattling may start to dislodge the muck and get it moving.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use a old cordless drill on hammer,with a piece of 12mm dowel in chuck to rattle the radiator, better than any tapping radiator with rubber mallet or whatever to dislodge crud.:)

15. Pollowick

Either way will do it ... as I said, I think there is a "mountain" of sludge in the one radiator which needs shifting.

KIAB likes this.
  16. If there is, and if it's a rad that you can access right through it from the valve holes - then it may be worth removing and taking outside?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Removing radiators was mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

18. Yeah, but that was two pages ago...

19. Not Too Sure

All piping hot now - the couple are very happy!

Turned into a massive project when I only popped around to have a look, but you guys have the pointers and I just followed instructions!!!

Thanks once again :)

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  20. You are da man :D

Not Too Sure likes this.