Bleeding Radiator Valve???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lenihan, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Lenihan

Lenihan New Member

Hi all,

Just want an answer to a mystery please if possible. I replaced a Drayton thermostatic valve because it was leaking what appeared to be blood coloured liquid. I was told it was probably a broken thermostat so I bought a new one Friday. Now this one is doing the same!! The liquid is actually red, like blood! Is this a coincidence or is there something going on with the radiator/system?

Thanks in advance!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Additive in CH system?

Leaking from TRV or pipe.

Which Drayton trv you, some have a wax sensor, others a liquid sensor.

3. Lenihan

Lenihan New Member

No additive to the system and the valve is a Drayton RT212

4. Try bleeding (unfortunate term in this isstance) a bit of system water from a bleed screw at the top of the rad. If it comes out red, then you know where it's coming from.

But, unless you have some seriously unpleasant poltergeists in your home, this red will almost certainly be coming from the TRV itself.

So, take it back and try again.

Only this time don't install it using a club hammer.

5. Lenihan

Lenihan New Member

Thanks I have just bled the rad and the water is clear. Hopefully it is just a faulty TRV but very strange it should go as soon as this as it was only bought Friday!

Attached Files:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mystified by this, as that TRV has a wax sensor, not liquid sensor.

That photo has me confused:eek:, is that red liquid or has it gone to a solid?
    You have orginal TRV that's leaking red, now a new replacement, definitely not from same batch, I'm at a lost for answer, how hot does that radiator get.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Sheelin

Sheelin New Member

The red liquid in photo looks more like something that has been spilled on the valve rather than leaked from it.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's what I'm thinking, if ejected from TRV, then there would be red blobs on wall behind.

Looks more like something been poured down/ over TRV.

10. Lenihan

Lenihan New Member

The old TRV that was replaced was disposed of and the new one fitted carefully, no club hammers! :D Nothing has been spilled or poured on this or the old one. The liquid is quite thick but has not solidified. I will return it to Screwfix but will give Drayton a call to get their thoughts.