Condemned baxi boiler

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Chelq, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Chelq

Chelq New Member

Hi. IM living in a council property and just had my fire condemned so currently without no heating I've been told will be replaced with new boiler no more back boiler. Does this mean moving pipes ect I'm worried as just had decorated through in time for Xmas lol

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

In all probability, yes! But, having said that, a good plumber can work things out to make the best of the situation.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might be able to claim a decorating grant, I know some councils offer this after major work like rewiring, new boiler.

You got gas, if so, then they will usually fit a combi, so you will loose the header tank in loft, cylinder, & some pipe work from back boiler which connect to the two.
    The combi will need a 22mm pipe for gas supply.

longboat likes this.
  4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

There could be a little bit of re-decorating too do, but should only be wherever their going to fit the boiler. Most of the work will be in the airing cupboard and under the floorboards.
    Expect a couple of days disruption and afterwards you'll have a nice new boiler, all for free.
    Going from a back boiler to a condensing combi, you should see your heating bill reduce by at least a third!
    :)

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think about boiler location, flue needs to vent through a outside wall, or if located on first floor then wall or roof.
    Seen boilers put in stupid locations.:eek:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Should get a nice new fire as well

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A multifuel stove.[​IMG]

8. Chelq

Chelq New Member

Thanks I have concrete floors if that makes any difference just boxed load pipes off too but not sure what these pipes are for one up side of fire wall boxed off and skimmed and piping on skirting yes new boiler a bonus moved from newish property to here and gas bill almost doubled.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

May i ask what meter type you have?

A mate of mine had a tab top up meter which he got replaced with a normal readout-type one, and by paying direct debt his gas bill was cut my a 3rd.

10. Chelq

Chelq New Member

Yes I have a pay as you go meter was already in when moved in I'm having trouble with npower at moment to get it removed saying no availability till April next year these are so expensive

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Its good you are aware.Pay as you go is much more expensive. You are not alone waiting, my mate waited 7 months to have his done.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go to CAB,shouldn't have to wait that long,you can have a credit meter or smart meter fitted. Npower makes more money on key meters tariffs,especially over winter.
    Trouble with Npower if there is a key meter already fitted when you move into a property, then they expect you to keep for 12 months, to make sure you have a good record at paying for your gas, if you want it remove then they can & may charge you a £250 deposit for changing to a smart or credit meter.
    THEY can change your meter within 10 days, had a lot of hassle with Npower in the past changing a gas meter at previous place.
    Even though it was the previous tenant who had debt problem, npower still tar you with the same brush.

Here we go, see this linky.

https://customerservices.npower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/~/can-i-exchange-my-prepayment-meter-for-a-credit-meter?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    longboat and Joe95 like this.
  13. Chelq

Chelq New Member

Thanks I'll have a look in to it I've phoned every other week past 3months told I could be paying 2.3per kW on direct debit currently paying 4.1 huge difference they'll be in no rush all the while I'm paying it hey.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And the worst bit about pre-pay meters is that it is normally the most needy and vulnerable who are on them and it is quite often irrespective of any previous financial difficulties. It wouldn't be so bad if the tariffs reflected any normal rates but the rates are pure exploitation

Joe95 and KIAB like this.