Pir celling sensor - existing light switch?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jackbailey, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Jackbailey

Jackbailey New Member

Hello everyone .

Just looking for a little bit of advice . We have a small toilet (basin and toilet) in our home and has a pull cord switch . I would like to replace this with pir celling light .

I have read up and know I need 3 core & E from the celling rose to the new pir. It also has an existing fan (timer and again this had 3 core and e) .

Now my question do you remove the existing light switch cable from the rose and isolate it. Or you leave this wired in?

Hope you understand what I mean

Thanks

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You would remove it. There would be no need for it.

There is no guarantee it comes from the light fitting, but most likely.

You could take your new three core for the PIR from the ceiling rose, or even the fan or fan isolation switch.

Jackbailey likes this.
  3. Jackbailey

Jackbailey New Member

The light power comes from the light next door , then the switch is from the Rose. With the 3 core for the fan coming from here then going to isolating switch then too fan . Thanks I'll just put it in its own chock block just incase what to remove the pir further down the line .

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Personally..I would leave the pull switch in place. You'll soon remove the PIR when you get fed up with being plunged into darkness when you are only on page 2 of Private Eye......

5. Jackbailey

Jackbailey New Member

Would it being plugged in have any effect over the other cables?

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Plugged in? If you mean "still connected" then it will be fine - provided you wire it correctly! It would just act as an over-ride to the PIR.

7. Jackbailey

Jackbailey New Member

Sorry, yes wired in. OK great I'll just leave it there then .

Thanks

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

As it's a pull cord, it could confuse, as you would not know if it's on or off. You wouldn't know if the PIR was holding the light on, or the pull cord. I would disconnect it, even if leaving it in place.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

With PIR, am I right in saying they are permanently on. So they do cost! I know very minimal.

They are mostly used for commercial where people are too lazy to turn off the lights lol

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select