Do I need hinge tite screws for butt hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 6, 2017.

1. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Self cutting head.

Joe95 likes this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or a self screwing handyman.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Description does not differentiate between the item being fixed and the item being fixed to.

ie, these are screws that screw into wood. Like a door frame.

That is what is on offer when you search for screws. Double-countersunk.

I didn't search for double-countersunk.

Is it any wonder that someone would buy these screws thinking they are correct?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They would if they were getting advice from you, they could end up buying anything.
    Now then Handy, are you finally going to tell us why you advised the OP to buy the wrong screws instead of the correct ones, you must have realised by now that I'm not going to let you off the hook and your prevarications are running pretty thin, I'm expecting you to tell me that the dog ate your homework next?
    Man up Shorty :)

5. Mr. Handyandy

When you go looking for screws and the whole lot are double-countersunk, what is the beginner gonna buy ?

What screws was it that the OP was using?

Why were they not sitting flush?

What size were they? What type of countersink did they have?

Can you answer?

No.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It doesn't matter what screws the OP was using as he needed some new ones, what mattered was the ones he should buy.
    You told him to buy the wrong ones, the correct ones are available and indeed he asked if he needed them in the title.
    Stop wriggling you pathetic little tosspot and accept that you were wrong, we all know it and are laughing at you more and more as you refuse to accept the truth.
    Being wrong isn't important, knowing that you are and acknowledging it is, otherwise we cannot grow as people.

malkie129 likes this.
  7. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Is it pistols at dawn then?.:eek:

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

More like pillocks at last orders :p:p:p

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Being stalked on a different thread now, Handshandy's death throes are truly pathetic.
    It will be interesting to see how his and Trump's future pan out...

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It finally looks like Handshandy has stopped trying to defend the undefendable.
    I don't have a problem with him and his advice can be useful but when he has decided he's right even when he's wrong he's a complete ********. This is his problem not mine.
    As I have said before being wrong isn't a problem, we all are, all the time, even KIAB and Phil the paver, but you just hold your hands up and say I got it wrong.
    If you can't do that then you have a problem.

malkie129 likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

' Fraid not.

Look, why won't you answer the simple questions I have put to you? Maybe if you had(or could) it might have helped.
    But no, you don't answer them, and that is because you don't know, or the answer you must give will be in my favour.

If the OP has used the correct gauge screw, WHY is it sitting proud, and WHY would a hingetite of the same gauge sit more flush?

ANSWER chumpie244.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wow you are getting seriously deranged o_O
    The OP hadn't used the correct screw and that's why it didn't sit flush. :)
    I think you may need to see someone about your anger problems :cool:
    Your questions make no sense which is why I'm not answering them. :confused:

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I picked up during the week a 51mm straight chrome door bolt SF 92261

Basic, simple, cheap item to fit for the mother in law

Guess what ....... the screws supplied didn't fit the countersink holes in the bolt - not even close

Why not I wondered .......

What I imagine is;

Mass produced cheap item

Foreign made (shouldn't really be an issue but)

Lack of quality control both from the manufacturer but also the SF buyer

Unfortunate poor standard of design and construction to a lot of manufactured items these days

Also I just know that even if the screws did fit, quality would be rubbish with soft, miss stamped heads that quickly chew up, can't seem to find a bit that correctly fits the head and you struggle to get them tightened half way, then the head is completely distroyed and you have to pull em out with a pair of grips (even drilling a pilot hole doesn't seem to work)

Luckily found some screws I had that did fit. No idea on size as just loose in a money bag

Over and out .........:)

longboat likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Which incorrect screw? What was incorrect about it?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Chances are it was a ribbed head. Which is okay going into wood but will be proud in metal.

malkie129 likes this.
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes that's very common which is why I never use the supplied screws, according to Handy they're the best, the greatest screws.

17. Mr. Handyandy

No. I never said that. You are wrong....again.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It didn't fit.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You did.

20. Mr. Handyandy

But why? Do you know?