Some Sockets Gone Down

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Working On It, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Working On It

Working On It Member

Guys,
    Some advice if you don't mind. I had some upstairs sockets go off today, but no tripping of the MCB...I have what I think is the 1st of the run working and what appears to be a double in the middle also working, but without lifting floorboards can't say for definite if it is in the middle, all the others are off.

Any advice what I could look for before lifting floorboards?

Cheers
    WOI

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

New install or old?

The sockets that aren't working I would look to see if any cables are loose maybe a neutral

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Obviously be safe turn power off prove dead, then look inside

But yes there could be a jb somewhere

4. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks, old and I'll take a look to see if any are loose

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

You need to do some investigatin.

What amp MCB is it on? I'm sure sparks will be along

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Socket tester, if you have one, try various sockets, may give you a clue as to what has gone missing, live or neutral, and where.
    Failing that, faceplates off and multimeter job to do the same, obviously electrickery can be dangerous if doing it this way with faceplates off.

7. Working On It

Working On It Member

I have tried with the socket tester and it's just showing as dead, no lights or bleeping at all, removed some of them from the wall and they seem to be intact and connected well, but it's getting late now so I'll have to check the rest tomorrow, Cheers

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

To get nothing at all implies a live missing if not more, have any works been done recently as far as walls, under floors etc?,you drilled any holes, walls recently?, if not then possible rodent damage?, any signs of furry critters, noises etc?, unusual to suddenly lose rfc tbh.
    If you have a multimeter don't forget that testing across live and neutral, and live earth, and getting nowt, could mean a loss of any, you need to check against proven points.
    I don't condone the use of 'volt sticks', but, sometimes, they can help to trace where the phase is and isn't, they have their place imho.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    tina lucinda lane likes this.
  9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Go to the working one..open it up...look at all connections.....remake...check others live/dead.
    RS

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are the upstairs sockets on a ring? If the Mcb hasn't tripped then slightly unusual in the respect that some should work at beginning or end of the ring if a 'break' is occurring somewhere along the line. May be Spurs though. How many skts upstairs?

11. Working On It

Working On It Member

No work that would affect the sockets, but it is strange that it's just dropped off like that, I will open them all up tomorrow and if need be will have to lift some boards, Cheers guys

12. Working On It

Working On It Member

12 doubles and 1 single, TBH I don't know the run so can't say for definite where the 3 doubles are within the ring

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Try and work out what the logical run would be from skt to skt. Not always logical though :)

Take each face plate off and see how many cables are present to try and workout if skt is on ring or spur etc. Some skts may be 'back to back' on an adjacent wall. Be careful!!

14. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Could the double in the middle be wired to a different circuit? I can't see how this would work and the others on either side of it would not work.
    If you don't know the wiring runs anything is possible.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Agreed, one needs to break down exactly what goes where, or appears to.

16. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

17. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Check on consumer unit as sounds like live has been lost check outgoing supply from circuit breaker and all connections isolate whole consumer unit first

18. Working On It

Working On It Member

All the sockets have come back on about 3 last night, haven't done anything yet as some are still in bed, this mean anything?

19. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

could be an intermitent fault/break so still really need getting to the bottom of

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And sometimes these intermitent fault/break can have you pulling you hair out trying to find them.