Solar power for my office

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by tiler7777, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

My office outbuilding is about to get its foundations and I am planning for power. I am thinking of two 90w solar panels, I am creating a little brick box cupboard with a door facing outside and some drilled holes for the cables to store the battery and inventor.

My question is this, I have seen some with fuses do i need this and what type

Also can anyone recommend any adaptors and if so what kind?

2. What are you hoping to power from this? Lighting (ideally LED)? and a laptop etc?

Fuses? For what? Betwixt the panels and batteries? I'd have thought that you'd require a charging regulator to keep things running just right, and surely they'd come with fuses?

But, as a guide, the rule is keep 'em as low rated as possible. 180W at 12V is 15A, so that's a benchmark.

You'd then be using an inverter to provide 240V AC? In which case they will come with their own fuses...

It would probably make sense to make your lighting 12V as converting to 240V first would lose you some power - it ain't 100% efficient.

As for inverter size, you'd need to know what max power drain you'd be requiring. Try and keep things low, as these will drain your 12V batteries pdq.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

a 90w until will probably average nearer 5-15w over the year ??

4. Tee-hee, good point.

It'll be worth getting some real-life figures of what these panels can deliver in this country. But I guess the idea is that they'll trickle charge the batteries all day, and then they'll be set for a few hours hard office work...

5. For the money?

Or two for the show.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Three to get ready, and glow, glow, glow!

7. Mr. Handyandy

But don't you, step up my fused machines.

You can do anything, but don't step up my fused machines.

8. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Well, you can knock me down, Step in my face, Slander my name All over the place.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Do anything that you wanna do, but oh oh sunny and the skies are blue..